Back (handspring/flip/pike) to support

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What are the drills and progressions to get to this? -> Video
I'm having trouble finding any instruction anywhere

[video=youtube;z64RkyCa190]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64RkyCa190[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh...sorry. Very cool skill...I'm not much help though. If I had a gymnast working it, I would spot them in a overhead rig until they could figure it out.

As far as a back handspring to support. I spot my beginning gymnasts on this one all the time going up a hill. We go BHS to spotted support...roll out forward.

Not sure - But would practicing Shushunovas help? Or a modified version where you jump to handstand and swing down to support?
And of course standing back pike somersaults. I'd imagine the skill would need to be spotted a lot. It is fairly similar to a Rulfova (women's beam element) which is a pike somi to hands, swing down to straddle sit, there might be some tutorials out there for that that you could take something from!

By the way, are you asking because you want to teach it or learn it? If you want to learn it, the best person to ask would be your coach - if you want to teach it, can you ask other coaches in your gym or area?

To give advice how to learn that without a coach would be rather unwise! I suggest finding a gym that will give private lessons, that is the only safe way to learn a skill that advanced.

What are the drills and progressions to get to this? -> Video
I'm having trouble finding any instruction anywhere

This skill is called in Endo (on Floor) - 86. Jump bwd.with pike-stretch or with 1/1 turn to front support and it is a ' B ' value
For this skill you need to be able to do the following with good proficiency.
1- Standing back pike on floor of course, with ample height to be as safe as possible
2- Pike kickout on tramp,, just so you know how to open out.
3- Back flip 1/2 to stomach drop on trampoline (spatial awareness and understanding how to kill the rotation)

If you can do these things you can do the whole skill first on the tramp from bounce to stomach drop (which is exactly like the back flip 1/2). It is important that on take-off you are not leaning back at all. So that on take-off you are looking straight ahead lift the legs straight up to pike and open out and at the same time you have to spot the ground. Avoid the legs from dropping down, otherwise you will over rotate and landing will be not fun.

Once you can do that.. you can practice the whole skill on tramp, with a crash mat, from standing (you need to careful landing in support on tramp on the elbows)

Once you have the spatial orientation, the understanding on how to open and the landing..assuming you can do standing back pike, you can do the same progression on a 8in mat on floor, and then go for it to support.

The reality is that this is not really a hard! skills, but one that you just have to understand how to do.

hope that helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back