Bad BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi there again :)

I took over a group of gymnasts. They are doing quite well but their BHS is awful !!! Each and every one. I started to brake down the skill:

jumping backwards on a mat
doing the fast arm swing laying on a mat
falling against a mat at the wall in a sitting position
jumping backwards into handstand
doing handstand pops
handstand snapdowns

but as soon as they do it be themselves it's terrible. The other coach just let them do it..they will never be able to put another skill on.
So now I am looking for THE drill, any idea ?
Oh and this is what they do wrong:

undercutting, legs widely spread, bent knees :(

The undercutting probably comes from how they enter the BHS. They are probably crouching too low and allowing their knees to bend infront of their toes. Remind them to lean back, then bend slightly, and go. I usually spot this a billion times till they get used to "lean, bend, push".

Also, to get them doing this on their own, you could put them standing infront of a wall, about a foot away, with a wedge mat on the wall and have them do back handspring like away from the wedge mat and their goal is to not let their feet hit the cheese, to ensure they are leaning back first and, "stretching the BHS long".

Legs apart? Well, this is not something you can really control through even spotting. Many verbal reminders. I also would try to have the girls put bands on their legs to keep them together OR put an object like a bean bag or sponge between their knees for them to squeeze together.

Also somebody else on here once said a good grill . Have thme start their BHS on the bottom of a spring board onto a mat so they are forced to lean into it and stretch it out

it be themselves it's terrible. The other coach just let them do it..they will never be able to put another skill on.
So now I am looking for THE drill, any idea ?
Oh and this is what they do wrong:

undercutting, legs widely spread, bent knees

one way we work it is you put a sponge between there knees and most of the time it will work but if they arnt completly togeter it usally helps a little bit. and check to se if they are going up on there toes before they do a back handspring and if they are then unfold a panal mat and they put there foot up but keed there heals on the ground but you as a coach also have to make sure there knees arnt going over there feet becasue that would also be a major problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back