WAG Before starting giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is not necessary for the casts to be at handstand but it makes it easier. DD STILL doesn't have kip cast handstand but does just fine with the giants. She did the whole season last year with out it. It kills your score though. For every missed handstand (under 10 degrees maybe 20 degrees) you loose 0.3 of a point so she lost 0.6 of a point on every routine. Painful.

DD has 2 or 3 team mates with giants who are no where near their kip cast handstands....DD has had a beautiful KCH for 2 years - and JUST got her giants on Friday (new gym, training differences, finally figured out how to tap...).

I figure they are completely different skills - one strength, the other body position and timing. The girls who can giant and not cast over horizontal (REALLY) are long, thin and not very strong...DD is short, and very strong.

Will say it is quite possible to do well at L7 bars without giants, DD always had 10.0 start values, but it is near impossible to do so without KCH - so it has always made more sense to me for that to be the cut off gyms made, not the giants....but what do I know - I'm just glad to see her finally able to do both so she can finish learning her L8 bars now!

That is exactly my DD. She is lean and long but doesn't have the strongest upper body. She did OK last year on bars without the KHC but it was painful to know that 8.6 could have been a 9.2.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back