Parents Bent arms on BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aspiringymnastmom

Proud Parent
My daughter can't seem to straighten out her arms on the BHS in the ROBHS combo. She doesn't land on her head (any more), but the arms are bent. The coaches correct her every time, she knows she needs to, I just don't think she has figured how to yet.

I am wondering 2 things:
1. How much of a deduction would she get?
2. Are bent arms going to affect her ability to do ROBHSBHS?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about your first question but the coach(es) most likely won't have her working on ROBHSBHS until she has mastered the ROBHS with the correct arms.
You can ask the coach (if you feel comfortable enough doing so) if there are drills she can do to strengthen and straighten her arms for her BHS. Most likely, like all gymnasts it will just click one day and she'll have it. It just takes time and repetition (but you already know that ;))

Huh! Interesting. Her arms are pretty strong otherwise, or so I thought, but this totally makes sense! She will have a lot of conditioning in her gym over the summer, so I bet it will help!

What is tough with this is it may be something in her overall technique that needs fixing. You can't always just tell a kid to straighten their arms, as there are things before that to fix too. My dd really struggles with this, but one day it clicked. I really think it had to do with leg strength, not arm strength. The more power she had in the bhs, the less she needed to bend her arms. Then the 2bhs came easily. Maybe post a couple videos and we can see what she is doing?

Time, she needs time. Glad she is no longer landing on her head. :)

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back