Choice of floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Well, I was looking up floor music on youtube yesterday and I was surprised with the number for routines to songs such as "I just had ***" or "Low" and I even found angry birds floor music so needless to say I was shocked thinking who in their right mind would use the repetitive elevator style music of angry birds as their floor music (i'm sorry if anyone here has that music). My question is do judges frown upon certain floor music?

Side note: In Gabrielle douglas's floor music she has "hey hey" "yeah yeah" in her floor music does this incur a deduction?

the type of music you choose you should like but should also fit your gymnastic style. Your coach can help you there. upbeat perky music wouldn't fit someone with more classical ballet feel to their style for example. My DD does much better with classical more dramatic music than the rock and roll or perky music.

As far as words it use to be a deduction however I have heard that either has changed or may be changing. Again your coach is the best one to answer that.

As far as staying away from music well judges aren't supposed to deduct for type of music but we have been told by several coaches that the judges in our area aren't too keen on techno and tend to judge harder with that music - so you don't hear too much of it. Also if music is the same for over and over for optionals then they get tired of it so its best to stay away from the new greatest stuff because everyone seems to pick it. I hear "Diamonds", "Pirates" and there is one other I can't think of the name at least 5 time each at any given meet. it can be good to go back to the first CD's and get something that hasn't been hear for awhile. Again your coaches know best as to what would suit you, what the judges in your area like and don't like and what music is overused to the point it starts to sound like compulsory music.

Your coach should have an idea of what the judges like and don't like.

I think that it's most likely just the judge's personal opinion. Personally, I think that music with some variety sounds better than just constant repetitive techno. I'm not a huge fan of when girls choose music that is just an instrumental version of their favorite song, because that music is made to complement voices, not just be heard alone. So I don't think that those necessarily sound the greatest, but again that is solely my feeling. But I think that mainly the judge just wants to see a gymnast that really gets into her music and has a song that fits her well. For example, my floor music this year is a mix with Tosca Fantasy and 300 Violins, and it is very dramatic/classical, totally my style and I can really get into it. Last year, my music was Friend Like Me from Aladdin. I am really not a peppy dancer type girl, and I could tell that me + that music + the choreography = not as good of a performance. I think that the judge can also tell when the style of music really fits the gymnast.

About Gabrielle Douglas' music, upon hearing it, I definitely would think deduction, but I feel like a national level gymnast like that would most likely know the rules for her music and be sure that it won't be getting any deductions.

My floor music is the trans siberain orchestra, sarajevo song. It is the last minute and ten seconds if anyone was wondering. It's upbeat classicalish type music.

If I remember correctly there are now big deductions in Aus NDP levels for artistry so if a judge feels that your music and dance do not go together, or isn't artistic enough they can deduct up to .9. It all depends on the judge, so I would say yes- music is very important to judges but each judge is different so what one likes another may not.

Glad to see another Aussie on the board, I am in State Stream so I'm not sure what the music/artistry deductions are but are their deductions for tasteless music? can judges deduct for music they don't like?

Artisty floor.png
This is from the code.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back