WAG Correcting toe out running and tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pea'sMom

Proud Parent
Pea has always run toe out, walks perfectly straight but as soon as she runs her toes point out. She's been good up until this point to keep her toes pointed and straight. But I happened to get to pick up a bit early last week and was watching her do layouts. My point of view was from behind her and I noticed that she is doing her layout with her feet and toes pointing out. It was kind of funny because she looked like Charlie Chaplin midair, but I'm thinking this would be a deduction? Does anyone have any good suggestions for helping her keep her toes in?

Most judges would only see the side view on vault, and for everything else, my guess is she isn't even aware of it and a simple reminder, or better yet a picture, should suffice. :) Good luck.

Thanks for the perspective! I'll tell her what I saw and remind her to pay think about it. She and her buddies are big on gym videos, maybe I'll suggest she get a video of the tumbling from behind.

While I think of this as more of a problem of biomechanics first, judging/aesthetics second, it was my all-time favorite brevet judge who first brought this toe-out position issue to my attention when I was a much younger coach. She was scolding a new elite at a regional training camp for keeping this bad habit all the way through JO and never attempting to correct it until she got to elite. That always stuck with me!

I consider it to be a nasty habit that will show up elsewhere as well (especially on bars). It's also the hallmark of a weak runner/tumbler (while slight toe in is the hallmark of speed). There is something going on that is creating that shape that can be different for different kids. Sometimes it's weak ankles/arches, but other times it's a hip thing that's causing the chain reaction down to the foot. I have had kids who do this work on the strength issue (whatever it may be) on the side, while I nag for the correction as a coach. I don't try to diagnose the root problem myself, I have a professional do that. From the coaching point of view, it's best to correct it during conditioning where there is no fear/risk involved. An example is having them do their candlestick jumps with a hair scrunchie (or something small like that) held between their big toes to reinforce where the toes belong. I don't think it's effective though unless done side-by-side with the targeted strength exercises.

While I think of this as more of a problem of biomechanics first, judging/aesthetics second, it was my all-time favorite brevet judge who first brought this toe-out position issue to my attention when I was a much younger coach. She was scolding a new elite at a regional training camp for keeping this bad habit all the way through JO and never attempting to correct it until she got to elite. That always stuck with me!

I consider it to be a nasty habit that will show up elsewhere as well (especially on bars). It's also the hallmark of a weak runner/tumbler (while slight toe in is the hallmark of speed). There is something going on that is creating that shape that can be different for different kids. Sometimes it's weak ankles/arches, but other times it's a hip thing that's causing the chain reaction down to the foot. I have had kids who do this work on the strength issue (whatever it may be) on the side, while I nag for the correction as a coach. I don't try to diagnose the root problem myself, I have a professional do that. From the coaching point of view, it's best to correct it during conditioning where there is no fear/risk involved. An example is having them do their candlestick jumps with a hair scrunchie (or something small like that) held between their big toes to reinforce where the toes belong. I don't think it's effective though unless done side-by-side with the targeted strength exercises.

Wow, really interesting! Thank you so much for the insight. I knew that toe out while running was from weaker muscles, I had assumed that wouldn't apply so much to gymnastics. Pea hardest event is beam thanks to weaker ankles and very long but narrow feet and legs holding up a tall lanky body. I'm guessing from what you said that her ankles could be the culprit. HC describes her as 'incredibly strong, but only using 25%' so her holding back could be part of the issue too. Considering she's a gymnast she's not a risk taker at all. Unfortunately I'm not sure her coaches would be tuned into what the root cause would be. They are the old school, just fix-it types.

Dumb question I'm sure, but who would the professional be?

It's not a dumb question at all, because unfortunately it's not as simple as naming a profession it's the "right professional." You might have luck with a PT if they are a former gymnast or dancer (lots of them out there). I've also seen PTs not get it at all and just tell the kid to wear a tennis shoe with arch support (duh that doesn't work for a gymnast). My current go-to-professional for foot issues is one of our team moms. She's the head of a university dance program, but was a gymnast herself before switching to dance. She teaches college level dance classes but also teaches classes like "dance anatomy" and "injury prevention." She gets foot issues like nobody else I've ever met and has helped a few of our kids correct the turn out by "prescribing" corrective stretches and exercises. It was not the same exercises for the each kid though, because she could tell where the issue was coming from. I actually plan to take one of her classes because I want to be more self-sufficient in this area. Maybe ask around in your local dance community and see if they can recommend a dance instructor with this knowledge or a PT that they send their dancers to. You need someone who "gets" barefoot sports. HTH

So I'm off to find a former gymnast/dancer PT who specializes in barefoot sports, should be a snap! ;) Thanks again for all the info. I will work on getting her looked at, I definitely don't want any injuries because of something that can be corrected!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back