Excel levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering how long gymnasts usually stay at a level of Excel?
I know it's not at all like the compulsaries, and that there's a range of levels in each level, but I was wondering how many years it makes sense to compete a level for? I was a bronze this year (L3-L5 skills) and I want to move up to Silver (L5-L6 skills), but I don't think I'll be ready. I am still missing quite a few skills that I need, and I don't know if I'll have them by the end of summer. Is it worth competing bronze again, or should I wait til a year from now and do Silver? How many years do most people stay at a level of Excel?

And also, is there an age limit for excel? I am 16, and turning 17 soon, so sometimes I wonder if I'm too old.

In my experience, girls often stay at a prep op/excel level for a couple of years. In the gyms I have been to, Excel doesn't practice as many hours (10/week at current gym) so it makes sense that they may not gain skills as quickly. Also, since there is a lot of flexibility within each level, you can be working on new skills and perfecting old ones and competing those skills without having to move up to do it. It seems to me you'd have more fun and be more successful as an "advanced" bronze rather than a "beginning" silver, but that's really up to you and your coach to discuss. But yes, I think that it's very normal to repeat levels in Excel. And as for age, I would imagine that you can compete until you graduate from high school, at the very least! Don't worry about your age or your level... just have fun and do your best! (spoken like the mom I am ;) )

First Your never too old - if its something you love to do then go for it.
I don't know if there is an age restriction but I think its the same as the JO program

As far as moving up it takes as long as it takes. You need the skill just like in any other program to move up. If you work hard you should be able to get what you need but you need a "Can Do" attitude to start. Don't go into the summer thinking you CAN'T.

Talk to your coach and work on a plan so you can have goals that are doable - You might be surprised as how much your coach thinks you might be able to so. So go for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back