fixing giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD is working on trying to fix her giants. She knows that she isn't supposed to arch at the top of the giant but is having some trouble fixing it. Could you take a look at her giants and offer some suggestions on how to fix them.

[video=youtube;ZKC--nnNmj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKC--nnNmj0&context=C3f7b3bfADOEgsToPDskLCwFLxwvg9tysiX K5AIVI9[/video]

From what I can see (but I'm only a gymnast and preschool coach, so anyone feel free to correct me) she's a little arched the whole way around and not really tapping, just throwing her head out and arching a little more when she hits the bottom, which causes an even bigger arch over the top. She should fall from handstand in a strong hollow and then tap at the bottom by going into a tight arch with her head still in and then kicking back to hollow - thinking of coming over the bar toes first instead of stomach/chest first might help. To keep her head in she should try to see the low bar as she's falling, then the wall while she's tapping, and finally her toes as she comes over the top. HTH!

She just not hitting the hollow shape on the way down. If she gets taller, she may find the low bar with her toes. From the handstand or in this case the clear hip, push to a hollow shape and kind of push the toes down until the chest opens back into the tight arch. From there go to a tight hollow tapping all the way over the bar. If you arch down, you tap early and get the same arch coming over the bar which makes you arch down which makes you tap early which.....

more clear hip drills that consist of 3 in a row and more. and then baby giant to clear support to immediate clear hip to handstand.

all in all they are not that bad. she is an ectomorph that needs a bit more core strength and handstand holds on a floor bar to practice falling on to an 8 inch mat to a hollow/round position/shape. this would help considerably in what CoachTodd is warning about "toes finding the bar". you can see that the bars are spread all the way out and the high bar is up 2 from the low bar. the issue at hand with this practice is that ANYONE can perform a giant at this setting. but NO ONE can perform them technically correct without the proper shape and tap.

when this/her body gets some strength...look out. she'll be an awesome swinger with good coaching.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back