WAG Floor Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
My daughter is putting together her first floor routine in preparation for her first competition next month, her coach has requested a blank cd to record her floor music on so she can practice at home. I know she cannot do her skills but she dies wants to run through her cheography. Is there is there anything she should concentrate on whilst running through her routine? Anything I can help her with or do I just let her get on with it?

There is noting wrong with reminding her straight legs and pointed toes :) Why allow her to practice sloppy at home? Sloppy muscle memory, especially if she runs through it a lot, will be harder to "clean up" in practice.

Our coach expects them to run through coreography at home. We video her routine to so they can watch it as well, also as per coach

There is noting wrong with reminding her straight legs and pointed toes :) Why allow her to practice sloppy at home? Sloppy muscle memory, especially if she runs through it a lot, will be harder to "clean up" in practice.

Thanks for the tips, I don't mind telling her to point her toes and straighten her legs but that will be the extent of it, I am not a coach and do not want to tell her the wrong things. My daughter will only run through the dancy stuff to get use to the music, she has a handstand forwards roll in her routine and doesn't like doing them on the floor as it is too hard at home. They have been asked to practice their dancy bits so I don't see any issues with that as it is a request from the coach. The same goes for her beam dancy bits, she can do that at home on a taped line on her mat.

Practice makes permanent.

Practice bad form and you will perfect bad form.

Our coaches want them to practice it at home so they have the routine and timing down cold. So when they are at the gym, the aren't thinking about what step comes next and have the timing of the music down. That way at gym they can concentrate on form and skills not what is the next step or when do I do my ROBHS. And sure big present, extend, chin up, flex your foot are heard.

I think practicing "dancey moves" is fine, and even reminding to point toes, etc.

One thing a coach told us one time in a seminar is this. Even if you are just coaching legs and toes, it can affect things. (usually when tumbling). The coach may have the kid focusing on some other aspect of the skill, and if they have both voices in their heads, then it gets hard to focus and can even cause problems. That is why I don't try to coach any of it...

Would it help her is said to "think about what your coach would say of she was here now and try and do that" when she is running through her music, that way she will have her coaches voice running through her head and not mine reminding her to point her toes.

Would it help her is said to "think about what your coach would say of she was here now and try and do that" when she is running through her music, that way she will have her coaches voice running through her head and not mine reminding her to point her toes.
I think that is great.

Yes. Odds are her coach's voice is alread running thru her head....and just having her listen rather than add a voice is great.

When D shows me something, I just say that looks great! What is it? If he asks me to "give tips" I ask him what he thought he needed to work on. It works well adn makes them think!

Reactions: sce
when DD practices at home, it is more of "marking it" like a dancer does. It allows her to focus on transitions and timing.

Our coach actually lets us watch when they are working on their custom floor and will tell us what they want them to focus on (not big skills) as far as things like shoulders, foot flexes. I actually video that.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back