glide swing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

Hi, On my glide swing on the way in i do it just fine and dont drag my feet, but coming out of the glide about halfway back my feet start to drag, could this be because im too tall?

It's probably because you're tall and also you need to work on ab strength. Lots of v-sits, best thing EVER for abs!! Do you do pike glide swings or straddle glide swings? If you're tall, straddle glide swings may be easier for you.

It's probably because you're tall and also you need to work on ab strength. Lots of v-sits, best thing EVER for abs!! Do you do pike glide swings or straddle glide swings? If you're tall, straddle glide swings may be easier for you.

Thanks, haha i already do tons of v-sits and 100 crunches a day but they never work haha, i think my problem is i have muscle i just dont know how to use it if that makes sense? lol im not sure if we are allowed to do a straddle glide instead of pike? but i do pike glide, but if i don't have a problem with the entrance of the glide just coming back then isnt a straddle glide the same thing like no difference in terms of difficulty for ME? correct me if im wrong? lol but thanks :)

I used to have this problem and its all tummy strength. A good way to test if you are too tall is hang in L sit on low bar and if your bum is really close or is touching the ground then you might be too tall but unlikely give that you told me you were 5 foot 2 which is the same height as me its probably your tummy strength do lots of L hangs and leg raises and glides :)

haha actually my but is like an inch off the ground LOL but i am 5'2 but i also have a back condition which when i stand i am 5'2 but when i am strentched out aka hanging from a bar in a handstand ect. im like 5'4 :/

well i would think its because youre probably not strong enough in the leg/ab area. i've noticed most of my team-mates who can't do glides well are the often the ones who have trouble with leg lifts, pike holds etc.

It sounds like its ab strength. You're talking about just coming back to a stand from the glide swing, right? Not going into a kip? On the back swing, you really have to make an extra effort to lift your legs--think about getting into a tighter pike as you come back before you get back to the stand. Work on connecting several glide swings in a row. At first, it will be very difficult, but the more you do, the easier it will get. Try doing five sets of three connected glides at first, and move up from there. Build up those lower abs! Good luck!

I have had this same problem except I can bring back my glide swing but no matter what I do I tap either in the middle or at the end of the glide swing. I have pretty long legs so I've come to 2 conclusions that may help you.
1. Make sure the bar is high enough. I personally like/think the bar should be about shoulder height. Maybe a tad bit shorter but not much. So if your working out with shorter/younger girls you may have the bar set to short.
2. Ab strength. I'm a rather tall gymnast (although short for my age. 17 and 5'3") and I've just been drilling the ab strength. If you can't do a full v-up then try putting your legs up on a couch or folded up mat and v-up from there and then you can work your way down. If you can't do leg lifts yet try just doing lots as high as you can without touching the ground (even if it's just a foot of the ground, better then nothing) Otherwise just keep practicing.
Try not to let your feet drop at the end of your glide, keep them at the same level as the rest of the glide, that will also help so you don't have to bring them back up after you drop. I know this might effect the 'extend' of you glide, but this will help until you get a good consistent glide.

I still tap, but these are the things that have made it better and have been helping!
I hope you get it soon, I feel your pain, it effects all of your bars!

I have had this same problem except I can bring back my glide swing but no matter what I do I tap either in the middle or at the end of the glide swing. I have pretty long legs so I've come to 2 conclusions that may help you.
1. Make sure the bar is high enough. I personally like/think the bar should be about shoulder height. Maybe a tad bit shorter but not much. So if your working out with shorter/younger girls you may have the bar set to short.
2. Ab strength. I'm a rather tall gymnast (although short for my age. 17 and 5'3") and I've just been drilling the ab strength. If you can't do a full v-up then try putting your legs up on a couch or folded up mat and v-up from there and then you can work your way down. If you can't do leg lifts yet try just doing lots as high as you can without touching the ground (even if it's just a foot of the ground, better then nothing) Otherwise just keep practicing.
Try not to let your feet drop at the end of your glide, keep them at the same level as the rest of the glide, that will also help so you don't have to bring them back up after you drop. I know this might effect the 'extend' of you glide, but this will help until you get a good consistent glide.

I still tap, but these are the things that have made it better and have been helping!
I hope you get it soon, I feel your pain, it effects all of your bars!

helloo, thanks, yes i can do full v-ups and leglifts i do many a day actually :), the bar is at my forehead height haha but i have extremely short legs like so short that when buying pants i have to get long shorts or 3/4 pants :/, but i have a very long torso so in the glide my but isnt far off the ground, im 5'2 btw, that is what i do- i keep the same position coming out which is why i drag because i get to a position where i am in dish and my feet are on the ground and i cant drag them back its only like 10 inches off from completing the full glide which is why its so annoying ahah, thankyou for your help :)

I would concentrate more on lifting your legs up higher at the end of your glide so you don't have that problem. Don't know what aussie lvl 4 bar is, but here in US it is glide swing to pullover, and they pull the glide back to an almost starting position before going even with the bars. That is what I would work on :) Hope that helps and makes sense, you seem pretty good at deciphering what I say lol

haha yeah, thanks, in aus we have bonus skills ect. it's kind of complicated to explain but yes we go back to starting position before going into a pullover :) i was doing it off a box/springboard but my coach said that because im taller that when jumping off the box im jumping down and hitting my feet easier so i tried without the box and they are getting much closer :) i will try straddle next lesson i did try straddle yesterday but i did it off the box so i may be able to do it without the box :) thankyou so much for your help and yes i can decipher what you say easily :) we must think alike ;) haha

Hi Jess, Sorry I have not been able to respond to your PM, but your inbox was full so it didn't allow me to send you a message.

Yes, you can do straddle glide instead or a pike glide and there is no deduction.

nicci1999 In Australia the Glide swing in required for levels 2, 3 and 4 on bars. Level 2 and 3 do a single glide swing and level 4 do two connected Glide swings (unless they can kip). It is different to the USA, the gymnasts must actually complete the glide and let go on the bar and finish behind the bar in a standing position.

Jess, strength is often the issue with a glide swing, can you do a forward roll over the bar and stop your feet from hitting the ground. If you can't then more strength will be required for the move.

When you jump to catch the bar make sure you jump UP to catch the bar not forward, as you catch the bar make sure your legs are tight and your chest is in. Extend your glide out as long as you can.

If the bar is at your forehead, I don't think it's because you're too tall. I'm 5'7 and the bar is at my chin. If you are already strong enough to execute the skill, then you probably have the timing wrong.

A very common mistake is to jump at the bar without lifting your hips and with your arms at a 90 degree angle to your body, causing a sudden FLOP as you swing out. Ideally, your arms will be in a straight line with your hips, and only your hips will bend in the jump.

Hi Jess, Sorry I have not been able to respond to your PM, but your inbox was full so it didn't allow me to send you a message.

Yes, you can do straddle glide instead or a pike glide and there is no deduction.

nicci1999 In Australia the Glide swing in required for levels 2, 3 and 4 on bars. Level 2 and 3 do a single glide swing and level 4 do two connected Glide swings (unless they can kip). It is different to the USA, the gymnasts must actually complete the glide and let go on the bar and finish behind the bar in a standing position.

Jess, strength is often the issue with a glide swing, can you do a forward roll over the bar and stop your feet from hitting the ground. If you can't then more strength will be required for the move.

When you jump to catch the bar make sure you jump UP to catch the bar not forward, as you catch the bar make sure your legs are tight and your chest is in. Extend your glide out as long as you can.

thanks, ill clear my inbox now :), i actually can't do the forward roll to tuck last yr i ended up just quickly bouncing my legs on the floor and bringing them back up so i'll work on that since i'll need it again this yr. thanks again aussie coach it's awesome how you can answer all of my questions :)

Also i've found if i do it from being like almost dead still i barely hit my feet but its when i start to jump that i hit my feet so i think it's because im pushing down so i will try what both of you have said :)

OK, if you can't do the forward roll without bouncing your feet it is definitely a strength issue, you won't be able to complete the glide swing successfully until that strength is built. You may already be strong but it may be in the wrong area's. I would chat to your coach about setting up a conditioning program that you can do at home. You sound like a dedicated gymnast who would be keen to put in the extra work, and I bet you would see fabulous results and not just in your glide swings but in all area's of your gymnastics.

Ok thankyou, yes i think it's strength too, when i work on bicep strength i never actually build up my biceps i always end up building up my shoulder muscles ect. the main areas that i can feel muscle being built up is my pectorials, shoulders, trapezius, rhomboideus, deltoids, latissimus dorsi and teres major and yes i did google them ahha :p mainly my back muscles but where will i actually need to use alot of back muscles in terms of skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back