WAG Gym Rant!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Make sure you don't fall victim to the "greener grass" paradox!

I have a girly girl. It can be exhausting in its own way. Clothes, shoes, make up, hair, bags....everything has to be just so before she leaves the house. We have literally melted into screaming matches in the morning when I'm trying to get to work on time. And she won't wear just any clothes...she's label particular. Unfortunately, she has grandparents who indulge her so I get to play bad cop.

Her hair has to be a certain way depending on the situation and god forbid there is ever a bump in her hairstyle. Even a gymnastics ponytail takes at least 5 minutes, two hair loops, one scrunchie, a brush, a smoothing comb, and two types of hair products. And the scrunchie MUST match the leo.

She uses argan oil on her hair and it help hide the breakage. I don't think with the straightening, curling wand, ponytails, buns, and everything else that I can really avoid the breakage so I just do damage control with the oil.

I feel ya!

Year after year I clean out kiddo's closet to give away the outgrown clothes... And there are the mint-condition cute jeans, skirts, the dresses worn only for that 1 occasion it was bought for.. anything that isn't sweatpants or sports clothing... barely worn and now to be passed on..

Sigh. I have learned to just buy "cuter" sweatpants and leggings (tag-free of course(!!)). She still likes some of the cutesy T-shirts with kittens on them or whatnot, as long as they are soft and not scratchy (no lace, etc).

And 'cute' hoodies and jackets (also must be soft or not worn). About to give away her fashion 'pleather' jackets that look amazing with the jeans she never wears. :(o_O

We detangle the hair with detangle spray 3 times (at least) per day. It is desperately broken off due to all the tight pony tails for practice. School is usually a pony tail in a scrunchie (less tight). Can't have layers or bangs or it would be too hard to make the required competition bun.

Gym life is glamorous!!:eek::rolleyes:

I work as a hair stylist. The best thing you can use for hair that likes to break easily is strengthening treatment, shampoo and conditioner. I have fine hair and it makes a big difference. Fine hair--you can look at it the wrong way and it'll break

I wear my hair up 90% of the time, and my hair now looks like it could be on a hair commercial. It used to look like you described

Try Paul Mitchell's Super Strong Liquid Hair Treatment (spray on after washing and comb through. This really helps strengthen the hair). Also you can use the super strong shampoo and conditioner that go with it. It's not ridiculously priced.

Make sure you are using the kind of hair ties that don't pull on the hair. If you can braid, give the ponytails a break in favor of French braids on occasion.

As far as looking nice for something like church, a little serum smooths flyaways and heat smooths dried frizzy hair...

And to the lady who has a curly haired daughter--yes, conditioner is key. Really ANY type of moisture for curls is essential. You don't brush it out like you do with straight hair so natural oils don't make it to the ends. So it gets dry. Moisture prevents frizz. Your daughter is on the right track!

^^^^Again they are who they are, and I don't miss this.

But more power to her and you for walking that walk.

Really, it is about them, not us.

I guess the grass really is always greener. I have one girly girl and one who couldn't care less. I am not girly myself, and I am getting tired of being told I need to learn to make her hair better. But I am thankful that my girly girl is at least original and has an artistic bent, so she's not emulating what everyone else wears- she comes up with interesting outfits. The non clothes horse can't be bothered to dress up even for a special occasion.

My DD is starting to like cute clothes some; but comfy is still more important to her. I have put the kibosh on pony tails and buns for practice though (braided buns are her "go to"). She is getting soooooo much broken hair. It is now two French braids. Much less breakage.

mine's 10 and is a happy medium. she rarely wears a skirt or dress, but doesn't wear athletic clothes very often either.

Yay! Feels good to know I'm not alone, and some of the comments have made me somewhat thankful she's more of a low-maintenance kind of kid! Ok next 'cosmetic' question, what about toenails? They are kinda gross. They aren't yellow, but they are crusty, like they are so thin they break in the middle. They aren't painful, but it hard to hide them with the no polish rule. Coupled with the hair? More keratin?

agreed, fungus. you need a sample sent to the gp to analyse which strain of fungus it is, then they can prescribe the correct treatment, OTC stuff may well not work. It needs to be treated as a) its spreads and b) she could loose the nail, permanently

I've so enjoyed this thread☺
Dd the gymmy has the same clothes ( not identical but a good mix of cutesy/ stylish ) in her cupboards as her same age sister.

Sister looks like a million dollars -boy can that kid put an outfit together ☺ while Dd the gymmy likes the cute clothes but ALWAYS wears either leggings ( weathers cold) or shorts ( weathers hot) & a tee-shirt from whichever comp/ camp she's favouring atm.

I compensate with too many cute blingy leos....it is what is -but really proud both girls have their own style.

I feel your pain! My DD has been super picky about clothes since she was two!!

Enjoy the cute sweatpants while it lasts. My DD (6th grade) will no longer wear them. Under Armour, Nike, that's pretty much it. Sigh. I swear she lives in hooded sweatshirts and leggings. :(

Though it could be worse. The other day she asked to stop in PINK for clothes. :eek::confused: NOPE.

At least my DD asked for a dress to wear to her banquet???

ETA: My DD has super fine, long hair, and what helped her breakage was working in a light oil after a wash (she likes the smell of a monoi/argan blend), and switching to french braids at practice. So much better.

My dd's toenails are all smashed flat and dented in. Doc says they are fine. Must be the gym. ...

quite possibly, but keep an eye on them. If they go yellow and flakey that is a classic sign, hubbie has had it for years due to to wearing steel capped boots on building sites, the constant pounding damages the nails and then the fungus gets in. It was only after 8 months of treatment ( after stopping site work) that his cleared up.

Um...I hate admitting this...but...er...what is PINK?
(Said the tomboy who didn't even wear makeup on her wedding day...)
It is a subsidiary of Victoria's secret ... but street clothes more so than lingerie (I think they have more basic unmentionables - not the super sexy ones).
We do not shop there (but the step monster bought OG a couple tank tops there summer before last... when OG was 12! OG said there was no way she would wear them - she said they were too "cheap" looking and she had more self-respect than that. :)

It is a subsidiary of Victoria's secret ... but street clothes more so than lingerie (I think they have more basic unmentionables - not the super sexy ones).
We do not shop there (but the step monster bought OG a couple tank tops there summer before last... when OG was 12! OG said there was no way she would wear them - she said they were too "cheap" looking and she had more self-respect than that. :)

To be fair, DD wants their hoodies, capris, and socks. So... could be worse?

She got one of those super cheap-looking tank tops as a hand me down from an older friend and thankfully hasn't worn it yet (way too large)... it may go missing before summer.

@Deleted member 18037 - 25 may still be too soon for her to wear PINK for me. I think I'll have to ask her not to wear it in my presence pretty much ever so that I can get through life.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back