I REALLY need some help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, I am in a bit of a situation:(. I am having a mental block on my backhandspring on beam, my layout flyaway, longhang kip connected to flyaway and sticking my backwalkover on beam. And I only have 2 more practises until I go to hawaii:rolleyes: and when I come back, only 6 more practises to my first meet! And just to let you know, I am not going to talk to my coach about it because she has already screamed at me for not doing it:eek:, so that would just make even more of a mess, I REALLy need some help here, please and thank-you. This has really gotton me frustrated, to the point of sobbing, and wanting to go home. I really love gym, and I can't picture myself without it, but I just can't take it all anymoe, what can I do?

For the flyaway, you have to just go for it. Do it on the pit bar for a while, and if you won't do it there, you really do just have to let go of the bar. There is nothing else, really, that you can do. For the BHS, take it back down to a floor line, and then just work your way up. What I had to do was stack mats all the way up to the length of the high beam and put panel mats around the sides, even though I would do it on the low beam. Just having a different beam messed me up (mentally) when I learned a BHS on beam.
For the BWO on beam, keep your hips square. A girl in my gym twists her hips to the point where she isn't even close to getting a foot on every time. As soon as she leans back, her hips point to the side. This is a video that helps with keeping your hips square. (idk if the link will work, but i'll try!!) Technique Tuesday: Connecting A Back Walkover On Beam | Technique Tuesday on Gymnastike

Tahnk-you, I will try to go for my flyaway and square my hips on my backwalkover. Our gym doesn't have a pit though, or my coach won't let me stack panel mats, but thank-you anyways!

just work on it i had a fear of my bhs too. all i did was picture myself doing it perfect count to three and go.you cant let yourself think otherwise you are going to think of the things that will go wrong.for the bwo just try to square your hips as much as you can.fro the flyaway. i have been there. i hit my feet twice and then i just stopped going for it. do the same thing as the bhs on beam picture yourself doing it good and then go fro it. remember all the times you have dont it great hope yhis helps!!

oh boy...see how often vestibular problems rear their ugly head?

this is more common than toilet paper. you and your coach will have to be patient, work slowly, and work thru it.

Thanks so much you guys! umm, I am working on beam today, it's one of my last practises, then when I come back from hawaii, we have like a meet right away! I think I will work through this, because I have to, and fast!

Thanks so much you guys! umm, I am working on beam today, it's one of my last practises, then when I come back from hawaii, we have like a meet right away! I think I will work through this, because I have to, and fast!

Good luck! I am sure you can do it, just stay confident and don't get frustrated, because that never helps anything!

Flipper had a block with connected flight elements on beam. Her "mean" coach finally told her to do it or do 50 push-ups. She did it - in tears that night. The next night the coach demanded that she do 2 of them. The next night it was 3. Mind you, she has struggled with this fear for months and just avoided doing connected flight elements on beam. Last night Flipper announced that those very skills are now easy. Repetition did the trick - muscle memory and the confidence that comes with doing it over and over finally overcame her fear. When you think about it, a certain amount of caution or fear is an intelligent response to what you are asking your body to do. It really is a situation of mind over matter - you have to choose to push through the fear and nobody can do that but you! Good luck!

Thanks you guys! Guess what? I did all of my skills today, and stuck the backhandspring and balkwalkover on beam! I did my flyaway connected to my kip as well! These skills are still sort of scary, but I guess that's what gymnastics is about!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back