Just finished filling out my application!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I will begin coaching in the fall! I just turned 15 in June so I wasnt able to coach during the summer but I go tmy application and theyve already saved me a spot...next thing to fill out is my Work Permit! I will be teaching younger kids up to pre-team and be an assistant coach for level 4s most likley. My coach offered me this job a long time ago and now I can finally work there! Does anyone have any advice for me?

from a parent

Coaches will have more advice for you. I can give you a couple of observations from a parent's perspective, from when my daughter was in rec classes and had some teenage students for coaches.

They are only there an hour or two, please be "present" and watch each one during their turn when you are watching or spotting their vaults/jumps onto the mat. They have waited in line patiently for their turn to vault onto the mat. My daughter always looked right at the coach after she did something, and I could see her face fall when the coach wasn't watching or paying any attention to her or the class. My daughter wanted constructive feedback, a smile, high fives, or even just to know in some way that you were paying attention.

Smiles are free and should be abundant when working with small children.

Remember that they look up to you. I can't think of a gymnastics coach that my daughter hasn't liked, and she adores some of them. You are a big girl (an automatic plus in my daughters eyes), their gymnastics coach and teacher, and they think you rock. Respect that new position as a teenage coach and wear it well. You're the grown-up now (but a cooler one than their parents).

Even when my daughter was "only" in recreational classes at the the time, I appreciated coaches who kept the girls busy. The one and only time I switched my daughter out of a class was when my daughter had what can best be described as a lollygagger coach. I watched one hour, and my daughter literallly did only twelve minutes of exercise in that hour. All of it was weighting in line, sitting while the coach was fiddling with something, talking to someone, or waiting turns somewhere. I switched her into a different class time after that happened. Getting some exercise should be a given while they are there!

Good luck and have fun!

I have the same job and love it. While some of the kids can be annoying you just have to deal with it while you are with them. Also make sure you are always smiling cause that way the kids know that gymnastics is a fun place. Another tip is always be loud and make sure you are heard. Don't scream but it makes the parents feel better if they can hear the coach giving corrections. Male sure you are always watching them. A few days ago I had a kid fall off the high beam head first. I don't mean to scare you or anything but just make sure you aren't dozing off like we all want to at the end of thier class. Just make it fun and enjoy the job. I have found that the kids really look up to us as thier coaches so try to be a great role model. Hope some of this helped.

Thanks fo rthe advice. and as for keeping them busy we have a lesson plan that is expected to be followed with all levels under pre team and some "extras" to doif you have extra time Im not the loudest person but already a lot of the girls really like me and our classes arent ever real big so that should help thanks for all of the advice!

I will begin coaching in the fall! I just turned 15 in June so I wasnt able to coach during the summer but I go tmy application and theyve already saved me a spot...next thing to fill out is my Work Permit! I will be teaching younger kids up to pre-team and be an assistant coach for level 4s most likley. My coach offered me this job a long time ago and now I can finally work there! Does anyone have any advice for me?

Go above and beyond. Take the time to talk with parents before and after class. Be sure to plan out your classes. Always check your equipment and use extra matting. If in doubt...spot. Learn something from every mistake you make. Come in on your own time and ask a more experience coach help you with your spotting. Clean the bathrooms...take out the garbage...put staples in the stapler...if it needs to be done...do it...don't tell someone else. Be prepared to cancel your plans with your friends when you are needed on a moments notice. Stack mats neatly in the correct spots after you use them. Be able to see all of your students at all times. Know everyone's names and use them often. Don't allow students to slop through skills incorrectly and then say "good". Make your students land on their feet...finish everything. Don't turn down gym hours and then schedule private lessons in those same time slots.

There were just a few of the things that have already come up this week at our gym.

Most importantly...HAVE FUN...it's a great profession!

A lot of new coaches think the job is only about the kids and their gymnastics, but let's be honest, at that level it is also almost as much about the parents. They are the one's bringing their kids and paying, so you want to make sure you build a great relationship with them. Take the time before and after class to talk with parents, get to know their names, tell them something new their child did or what a great listener/ helper they were that day.

It's unfair, but you will certainly have the parents who think you are young and inexperienced and they will instantly doubt your abilities. Prove them wrong! Think of coaching as an acting job (this doesn't mean be fake!). I just mean that even if the lead in a play knows all their lines, but is quite, slouches over, and doesn't make eye contact, you will assume they don't know what their doing. Even if you know way more about the sport than parents ever will, if you are too quite or are crossing your arms uninterested, your knowledge will not shine. You want the parents to hear whats going on too. Look over at them every once in a while if their child does something well.

As for the children, obviously SAFETY! Don't feel that you need to teach super advanced stuff to be considered a good coach. A good coach can make the little things like form, stretching and conditioning seem exciting. Keep the kids busy. It also helps to figure the kids out as far as who works better with whom so keep an eye on that. ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS and HAVE FUN!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back