Layout confusion with whip back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
Just curious how common this might be and what could help fix the problem ( I'm sure her coaches know but I'm curious)

Daughter hasn't been in gymnastics long but has progressed fairly quickly. She considered a 6/7. She has confusion issues when she's asked to do layouts. Instead of RO BHS layout, she usually does RO whip and then just rebounds because she realizes her mistake. After a few passes down the tumble track she figures out the sequence. Is this fairly common? It looks like she is just rushing to get to the layout. I guess at somepoint the whip will become useful but not at her current level.

this was addressed just a few days ago in another thread. i regret i stink at figuring out how to post what was stated here. just look at the other attempt i made. it's all in pink...

i'm sure someone will help out here and post that other thread.:)

She need to focus on the round off and not the layout. Most kids learning new skills seem to focus on the skill at the end of the pass. In this case it would be the layout. I tell my kids that the round off is the gas pedal for the entire pass. If the round off is bad, the rest of the skill doesn't matter. The case you are describing makes it sound like she's actually starting the back handspring before the round off is done. Let the back handspring be something that happens because the round-off was good. Think about the layout when you have done a good set and you're already flipping. I know it sounds a little strange but it seems to give the kids the idea .

Thanks. That sounds like what she might be doing.

Haven't found the other thread but I'll keep looking.[/QUOTE

okay gasrgoose...found it. hope i've done this right this time. your daughters problem is the same vestibular issue as discussed in this and very common also:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/technical-talk/36082-accidental-twist.html

Thanks! That's good information, but I'm glad the coaches get to figure it out and not me cause it's a little confusing. But I am curious as to what might be happening. Most skills come so easy to her it was just strange. The good news is she doesn't seem the least bit frustrated and there are plenty of other skills she is trying to learn. Since she has just recently (last couple of months) started doing flipping skills (front tuck, back tuck, fly away etc) maybe her vestibular system just hasn't caught up yet. Another interesting point, she doesn't have the problem on the floor beam when she's doing BHS back layout step out. So that probably confirms that her vestibular system is just kinda lost as she does RO BHS back layout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back