WAG Level 10 Regionals - Filling empty spots for nationals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Calgirl

Proud Parent
I noticed that after the Level 10 Region 2 regionals, there were a lot of slots open for nationals. For instance SR A had only 2 girls, leaving 5 spots. Also, there were spots in almost all of the age groups. How do they fill those? My dd has over 30+ in her age group. Any chance they pull from other regions?

Yes, from what I understand they take they empty spots and divvy them up to kids that didn't qualify from other regions.

Here is the section from the rules and policies...

If any region is unable to field a team of seven gymnasts per age division, the open slots will be filled based upon the Regional Team results from the previous year.
1) If one spot needs to be filled, the 8th place athlete from the region whose regional team won that divisionthe previous year will fill the spot. All athletes from the 1st place region involved in the tie for 8th place willbe used to fill the empty slots before any other region's athletes are assigned.
2) If more than one spot needs to be filled in an age division and there were no ties in the 1st place region, the nextindividual added is the 8th place athlete from the region whose regional team placed 2nd the previous year.
3) Only athletes from the regions that placed 1st through 3rd in the specific age division the previous year mayfill the incomplete squads.

c. If a region fills at least five (5) out of the seven (7) slots, they will compete as a regional team in that agedivision. The added athletes from the other regions will compete as individuals.

d. If a region has less than five (5) qualifiers in any one age division, the squad of seven is to be filled according tothe procedure stated above in b.2), but the squad will not be considered for team score; all of the gymnasts willcompete as individuals only.

Wow, those rules don't make a lot of sense to me. The 8th place athlete from the previous year could easily be a qualifier this year. Also the age divisions are different.

I think it is the 8th place athlete from this year, from the region that won last year...

That makes more sense, but I wonder how it will work due to the different age divisions. For instance, SRA this year used to be a combination of Junior B and C. I believe two separate regions won the Junior B and C competitions. Also 8th place is an alternate for their respective region, I wonder if they get a choice to remain as an alternate, since, in many cases they actually compete. I am disappointed with this new age grouping, I guess because it didn't help my dd's age group at all and many talented athletes will be sitting home. I guess that's the way it goes. For us, this actually turned out to be a disappointment although I know it helps many others get to nationals. I think her age group will require about a 38 to go while many others will qualify with a 34.

Based on our region, it seems that old Jr B and C (part) have become Jr D, E, F with some former C falling into Sr A.

However I don't think they are going into that much depth when considering how to fill empty spots. My guess is that new groups E and F may be filled by some other criteria such as SuperTeam placement?

Also 8th place is an alternate for their respective region, I wonder if they get a choice to remain as an alternate, since, in many cases they actually compete.

I think I read that the 8th place girl would be on other region team but remain the alternate for their region should they be need. They don't have to choose between helping to fill Region X versus possibly not competing at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back