WAG Level 7 at 13?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter competed level 7 for the 2nd time, she finished her season with a 37.4 all around score at regionals. Her birthday is in January and she finally became a teenager(13) She has been feeling really insecure about her age and level, and that she is too old. She is definitely going 8 next sure but she is also going into the 8th grade. She told me she doesn't want to continue because she thinks the older you are, the worse. Is she too old?

That's the biggest age group for L8 around here. And with only being an 8th grader next year, even with turning 14, she still has 4 years for levels 9-10, if she's hoping for college gym. What's more important, lots of girls never get this far - she should be proud of a successful L7 year and enjoy what the future has for her....unless the committment is getting too much, and she's ready to be done - which would be ok too!

Where does she want to go with the sport?

Does she want to go elite? If so, she faces tougher odds than a younger gymnast at the same level might, but it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Does she want to do gymnastics in college? If so, she's right on track.

Does she want to have fun and stay in shape? If so there's no such thing as "too old."

Last edited:
In Ohio, at the State Meet this year, L8 age 13 would have been in either Child E or Jr A... That means that there would be 10 age groups with OLDER girls and 5 age groups with YOUNGER Girls. With approximately 14 girls per age group, that shows that she DEFINITELY would not be too old. Even at the age of 14 (Jr B-Jr C), she would be right in the middle agewise :)

That sounds like a great age for level 8. My DD was a 15 year old level 8 and she wasn't even close to being the oldest.

Let her know a lot of gymnast only get to level 7/8 at that age, my oldest dd is 16 and only did level 6 this year, and wants to try 7 next year, theirs also girls at dds gym that are older and doing the same levels.

Thank you for all the answers! I'm sure once she realizes the talent it takes to get to her level, she will be more self-confident. Thanks to everyone!

My DD was a 14 year old Level 7 as were most of her teammates. Granted she was usually in the oldest age group. She started gymnastics late (age 9 when competed old L3). Hopefully your DD can get past feeling too old. It would be a shame to quit doing something she loves because she is embarrassed about her age!

My Dd will be 12 and competing level 4. I also addressed this same issue with coach the other day. She said don't be in a hurry. But, my DD does have dreams and high expectations.

Shes not "too old" at all! Theres plenty of girls in her age division who are thirteen+ in level 7/8. I was convinced at the beginning of the season I would be the only one in my age division but it turns out there were plenty of other girls my age too. Heck, there is even three girls at my gym who are turning 14 and training for level seven. She will be fine!

DD came home from gym yesterday saying there were two new girls on her team... Sisters who are 11 and 13, levels 4 and 7. I said "Isn't that nice that there's another girl on team your age?" She said, "I guess, but the 13-year-old is the level 4!"

My daughter just recently turned 11 and is starting level 4. I'm jealous of where your daughter is! Being a level 8 is nothing to sneeze at regardless of age. She should be proud of herself!

I competed level 7 in 8th grade and a couple of my teammates did as well. She is by no means too old. It sounds like she'll do great!

This is such a lovely post of responses and really is quite refreshing - what a wonderful reminder that kids can have fun and successful gymnastics careers even if not young hotshots (i.e. high level / low age).
We all need to remind our girls (and ourselves!!) what an accomplishment it is to reach the optional levels!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back