WAG Level 7 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Does anyone know what the requirement is for the free hip handstand on the high bar?
I know there are generally 2 routines, Kip cast HS, FHip, Kip-squat on, jump to HB, Kip cast HS, giant giant FLy away....
And the other,
Kip squat on, jump to HB, Kip cast HS, FREE HIP handstand, into giant or two, flyaway.....

What is the height requirement for the free hip handstand? Must it hit vertical, or is there leeway if it hits 10 degrees under?

If it hits vertical it is a C skill, but allowed in L7, and is rated as a B in L7, so for L7 there is no deduction for not hitting vertical. 20 degrees from Vertical down to horizontal is awarded B credit. It has to be 45 degrees (1/2 between horizontal/vertical) to incur no deductions.

Ok thanks! So coming out of the free hip at, 10 o'clock or so (really 10:30) is perfectly fine......but of course the desired skill should be at vertical.
Dd is trying this skill. She might be able to get it in time - she is currently coming out just at about 45 below vertical, but then her giants get a bit ugly.......It would make the bar routine way easier for her. All that low bar work has a lot of places to get deducted......
If I could only pick, I would LOVE to see her do, Kip squat on, sole circle, jump to HB, KCHS, free hip HS, G-G, flyaway......but her other routine is good too.....
Fingers crossed.....

When you don't go near handstand you risk it becoming a judges opinion of which degree it hit. So the closer you get to handstand, the better your score will likely be, and the easier your giant will be. Here is a video of my dd at lv 7 last year. This was at state, she was state champ on bars for her age group. She scored 9.675. (Fast forward to 1:30).

Best wishes for your dd at lv 7!

When you don't go near handstand you risk it becoming a judges opinion of which degree it hit. So the closer you get to handstand, the better your score will likely be, and the easier your giant will be. Here is a video of my dd at lv 7 last year. This was at state, she was state champ on bars for her age group. She scored 9.675. (Fast forward to 1:30).

i just watched bars and it was gorgeous! i'm just curious though (our first year in optionals), my dd does so much more in level 6. she does kip, straddle CH, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, straddle CHS flyaway. she will more than likely add in a giant flyaway by the end of the year. she got to vertical on her high bar CHS yesterday and is almost there on low bar. if she hadn't of slipped and fell on dismount it would have been a 9.325. still, she got an 8.825 which was up from an 8.625 two weeks ago (both being judged by one of the two toughest judges - i have to brag, b/c those judges are freaking tough). after watching some of the 7 bars yesterday at the meet after ours, i feel our dd could easily take her current 6 routine and still place. the only thing she doesn't have is a high bar FH and her giant but some of the 7s weren't doing that either. it's so confusing. does level 6 have more bar requirements than lvl 7? if i can figure out how to get the video off my dh's camera, i'll post it out here tomorrow.

i just watched bars and it was gorgeous! i'm just curious though (our first year in optionals), my dd does so much more in level 6. she does kip, straddle CH, free hip, kip, squat on, jump to high bar, kip, straddle CHS flyaway. she will more than likely add in a giant flyaway by the end of the year. she got to vertical on her high bar CHS yesterday and is almost there on low bar. if she hadn't of slipped and fell on dismount it would have been a 9.325. still, she got an 8.825 which was up from an 8.625 two weeks ago (both being judged by one of the two toughest judges - i have to brag, b/c those judges are freaking tough). after watching some of the 7 bars yesterday at the meet after ours, i feel our dd could easily take her current 6 routine and still place. the only thing she doesn't have is a high bar FH and her giant but some of the 7s weren't doing that either. it's so confusing. does level 6 have more bar requirements than lvl 7? if i can figure out how to get the video off my dh's camera, i'll post it out here tomorrow.

Lv 6 bars was always a hard one for me to estimate what I thought she would get. Dd struggled with lv 6 bars, her high score only being 9.15 (I think). Here is a (poor quality) video of my dd in lv 6...hopefully it will help.

I will say that lv 8 bars is a whole new ballgame. So, just when you think you've got it figured out, bam! You're back at square one. ;)

Agreed- which is why I know they won't let her use it unless she is close to HS. I figure, if she can get consistently close, like maybe 10degrees off, they will let her do it......if not, she will go back to the first routine. Beautiful routine, BTW.

I have consistently seem two routines....the one you just described, but with Giants at the end. In this version , L6 & L7 are very similar.....but like you said, a LOT going on...This will score well if done cleanly. Then the routine like ascarter's dd did in L7. This is more difficult, but if a gymnast can get the FH, then actually easier.....less places for deduction. For my DD, she has many places to deduct on the low bar work. I really hope this one comes easy to her. Fingers crossed.

Level 7 Bars requires 2 clear circling elements. Level 6 only requires 1.

Also something to think about...the fewer the "extra" skills in lv 6, the better. Just because that is more of an opportunity to get deductions. I am all about simple routines at the meet, lots of uptraining in the gym! :)

You also need 2 "B" skills in level 7 and only 1 in level 6. So level 7 routine are almost always a low bar AND high bar clear hip, or the giant on high bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back