WAG Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
How bad would it kill a score to not have giants on bars, but have really clean clear hips or uprises instead? I have competed L7 successfully without giants, scoring high 8s and low 9s, but i don’t know how bad it would kill my score in L8. This would be the my L8 bar routine without giants:
Kip, chs 1/2, kip, clearhip, squat on, kip, uprise,uprise, chs layout flyaway full.

I’m not sure if in L8 you can compete the full, but if not it would just be layout.

I have L8, L9, and even a L10 skill on all my other events, so they are fine.

You would at least get an not up-to-level deduction. Not sure if an uprise is a B, if so you are fine in that too. I don't think you need the flyaway full, but it can get you less up-to-level deductions. I think it will kill your score about 0.2/0.3

What I saw killing scores on bars in L8 was missing the pirouette or not getting to a full handstand on casts or coming out of a freehip. (Not sure what an uprise is...maybe that is the same thing.)

That said, I saw very few routines that did not have giants.

You would at least get an not up-to-level deduction. Not sure if an uprise is a B, if so you are fine in that too. I don't think you need the flyaway full, but it can get you less up-to-level deductions. I think it will kill your score about 0.2/0.3

Of course i forgot to say, what does your coach say!

You would meet all the requirements, I believe, but the thing that would leave room for deductions is that you have a lot of extra skills in your routine. I'm not exactly sure what the kip-uprise-uprise sequence looks like. You do a kip, cast, swing down, uprise, swing down, cast handstand? You would get angle deductions (up to 0.3) on every cast that's not to handstand. You would also get the "empty swing" deduction (0.3) on every swing down from a cast. Also the longer the routine the more worn out you will be, and the harder it will be to hit your handstands.

.... but bars can be done at L8 successfully without a high bar giant! My DD like you was fine at L7 without giants - she did 2 free hips. Scored high 8s / low 9s.

For L8, she did cast to HS and she had a great pirouette. She had a pretty good free hip. But the unique thing she did for a few meets was a low bar giant (yes bent knees but only at the bottom, and yes, this really counts as an A skill). So that is another creative thing to perhaps do. (My DD took FOREVER to get her high bar giant.)
She scored as high as a 9.1 with her crazy routine.

You gotta love optionals - so many options to choose from/be creative with!!

How close are you to giants? It seems silly to work around them because you won't be able to in level 9 & 10. The deductions for empty swings and not hitting handstands will really add up.

dd didn't do giants in L9 and scored well (low/mid 9s). She went from a free hip HS to a double back. If you have good substitutions, you should be ok.

ETA: I had to check back on her videos - she doesn't have them in L10 either.

The deductions for empty swings and not hitting handstands will really add up.
this is true. You will need to be hitting HS on everything

Last edited:
another possibility is what i’ve done in L7 with clearhips and cut catches since both are Bs. Most girls at our gym that are L8 don’t do giants and do uprises with backhip circles before them and still managed to score mid / low 9s. (keep in mind my gym isn’t completely USAG, we only compete about 2/3 meets , our skills vary weirdly)

dd didn't do giants in L9 and scored well (low/mid 9s). She went from a free hip HS to a double back. If you have good substitutions, you should be ok.

ETA: I had to check back on her videos - she doesn't have them in L10 either.

this is true. You will need to be hitting HS on everything

A lot do this in level 9 because connecting the clear hip to the double back is a connection bonus. There are no connection bonus's in level 8 so you see it less.

I'd think w/ really good handstands and free hips to handstands in all of this one can do just fine. However, its rare that a kid can do cast handstands and free hips to handstands and not do giants. Is it just a mental thing w/ the giants?

as of Friday, i came real close to a low bar giant. i haven’t worked giants in 2 years after i got injured and i’ve sort of just started working them again. it’s not really a mental thing, it’s just the lack of not working them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back