WAG Meet Scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Has anyone else had this experience? It seems like when we go to the bigger meets with more competitive gyms, the scoring is actually more forgiving. On the flip side, this past weekend we attended a much smaller meet, with less gyms, and gyms that had less notoriety, and the scoring was brutal. It seems like it would be the opposite and judging would be stricter against gyms with really strong gymnasts. Anyone else notice this in competitions?

Around here, it's exactly the opposite. Go to a 5 team meet, get great scores. Go to a 20 team meat, get hammered (though the 2-3 mega gyms will still get great scores). Small meets = confidence; large meets = what state is going to be like.

That's what I would've thought. Our first meet had all the big players. DD got a 37+ and took first. Second meet, same deal. This meet was in a gymnasium with about 6 teams or so, from gyms I hadn't heard of. DD did a 36, but was disappointed because she went down in everything. Other than beam, her routines were pretty much the same as the 2 previous meets, but averaged about .3 lower in score. It was relative--all scores were low. DD took second on bars with a 8.75...:eek: Didn't see any scores over a 9.4 on anything. I just thought it was funny because I would've thought this meet would've been a "feel good" meet. It would up being pretty depressing even though she took first AA. Oh well, I guess chalk it up (pun intended) to a weird/off day!

I've been around this sport for a long time, and belive me, scores are just arbitrary numbers. They will vary from judge to judge, meet to meet and region to region. Don't worry about them. The less attention you pay to them the better. Placement is a better way to evaluate performance.

I agree with gym dad - as long as the best routine is winning then the score doesn't matter. It is a great learning experience for a young gymnast to see that the scores are something you can't control. Our state is usually low scoring, when our girls our of state, we love it cause we score a few tenths higher - they just know it and accept it.

I agree with gym dad - as long as the best routine is winning then the score doesn't matter. It is a great learning experience for a young gymnast to see that the scores are something you can't control. Our state is usually low scoring, when our girls our of state, we love it cause we score a few tenths higher - they just know it and accept it.

same here - low scores in state and much better score out of state. Mimi, best to get dd to focus on her performance, and if she insists, on place order rather than scores. But I completely understand - from dd's own experiences, it can be unnerving going from a 9.2 to a 8.75 for the same performance in a routine. Over the years, we have learned to look at scores in terms of season wide - did she improve scores from the first meets to state meet? Every season, she has seen an improvement in scores this way, even though meet to meet have varied up/down.

I agree with trying not to pay too much attention to the scoring, although that can be hard if you have coaches that stress scores for advancement. Our bigger meets tend to score harder than the smaller ones, but I've also noticed a trend in my area where scores start off pretty high at the beginning of the season and then get tighter toward the middle of the season. Scores will then loosen up a little as you approach state/sectionals - maybe to try and get girls qualified for those meets. Not sure if this is a conscious approach by the judges who maybe expect more as the season progresses or if it's something they don't even notice.

When I competed it was the opposite, but remember, as long as the judges are scoring fair it doesn't matter! I was at a meet where they were scoring beam and bars completley fairly, but they were scoring vault super easy but then floor super hard! But the judges were fair! On vault first place would be a 9.6 but first place on floor would be a 9.3! So as long as they're fair that's okay!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back