Parents Missing practice for homework and tests

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LOL. They must be doing something right. They rank much higher than us internationally in math and science....

I expect the best from my kids too, but not all the time. And to me (as a teacher) grades are only one part of their best.

But back on topic.....I think school should come first, before gym. That does not necessarily mean homework. That, to me, depends on the kid and the homework. For my older ds, who has 2 tests tomorrow, he will spend part of tonight studying. Younger ds, will not.

I am an educator as well and my only homework assignment is that they read every night. I agree that homework is not beneficial! But this comment is less about homework and more about obligations! Not just our children's obligation to their education but our obligation as parents to our children. Raising them to be prepared productive members of society. Teaching them to prioritize, time manage, and so many other valuable life skills that will go far beyond their gymnastics career. I am grateful that dd has learned these valuable tools at such a young age. I am also grateful that her middle school teachers, for the most part, agree with the "little to no homework rule". There has only been 1 time that we had to complete a project from the upstairs viewing area, and she still made it to practice on time.
Maybe it's a difference in countries, maybe it's a difference in number of hours your child is training, maybe it's just a difference in the way we parent...all of which are ok. Best wishes!

Oh, I am in your country :) And this post you just sent, I agree with! But I don't agree with lots of homework. And if it is busy work, I may not make my child do it if there is something else going on. Again, I am not expected to. but I do agree with time management, etc. I love that my older ds' high school teachers don't do a lot of hw. It makes family life great!

Oh, I am in your country :) And this post you just sent, I agree with! But I don't agree with lots of homework. And if it is busy work, I may not make my child do it if there is something else going on. Again, I am not expected to. but I do agree with time management, etc. I love that my older ds' high school teachers don't do a lot of hw. It makes family life great!

:)
The country comment was geared more to the poster from Australia. (@Aussie_coach)

I think the disconnect comes from us non-US peeps, not that gym is more important that school, remember most of us practice fewer hours than your average US gymnast, 6-15 seems average for most non-elite path gymnast here,
but that
a) your volume of homework means you have to make the choice and
b) that anything done outside of school and "exam conditions" would count towards a final grade.
But it's not necessarily the volume of homework alone.

We have little kids in the gym 20 hours a week. They are little kids. Tons of homework not cool, but (again JMO) neither are tons of gym hours. When folks are choosing to home school (and I am not anti home school) based on accommodating gym hours with young children in compulsories, that is a disconnect for me as well.

I really hate homework. My dd's homework isn't as bad now in 5th grade ( I hear it will get much worse next year) but ironically my 3rd grade DS is always loaded down. Sometimes his homework takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes to complete and he's 8 years old. It's tough on him b/c he is extremely intelligent but lacks focus. Another 60-90 minutes of schoolwork after a long school day doesn't benefit him at all. And to the ones who get grades for homework, I would actually welcome grades for homework around here! In our district they are expected to compete all of this homework and get absolutely NO credit whatsoever for in in their grade. So if they flunk a quiz or test....all that extra homework they did will not be there to help pull the grade up. Even normal classwork is not always graded. Most of their grades consist of quizzes, projects and tests. I have high expectations of them but I will say that the no leniency even in elementary school really bugs me. When I was a kid we got a grade for every homework assignment we did. Our teachers would drop our lowest grade every quarter and even curve grades or do retakes if everyone did poorly on a test, even up to high school. They are kids they are going to have bad days! Sometimes I feel like throwing the homework out the window and saying forget it because they aren't getting credit or grades for it anyway. But then they are punished by having to do the work at recess if they don't complete it at home. It's a lose/lose situation. :(:(:(

She is in 8th grade, will a few missed homework assignments keep her out of college?

I know our attitude is different in Australia, but when a teacher assigns work he there are plenty of kids who don't do it.

It does sound like there is a much different attitude about school and assignments in Australia. I think it's fair to say that in the US not turning in assignments will result in failing the class -which is a pretty big deal in high school.

Our district actually has policies and guidelines. Which was my gripe at the beginning of the year,as teacher wasn't following guidelines.

Homework can only account for up to 20% of their grade. Assignments should be given with advance planning to accommodate flexible time management and other obligations. Assignments should be purposeful, remediate learning opportunities and not repetitve. In other words not just busy work. And at least so far they have reasonable, sticking to the 10 mins a grade type guidelines plus reading. Did have it out with this year's teacher about getting the work ahead of time.

My daughter is encouraged to bring homework to the gym , tonight one of the coaches even helped her with it , if they do bring , they can skip part or all of a rotation and get it done . They are also encouraged to help each other out.

But it's not necessarily the volume of homework alone.

We have little kids in the gym 20 hours a week. They are little kids. Tons of homework not cool, but (again JMO) neither are tons of gym hours. When folks are choosing to home school (and I am not anti home school) based on accommodating gym hours with young children in compulsories, that is a disconnect for me as well.

I agree with this -and I struggle a lot with this. DD does more hours of gym than I would ideally like her to do -but it's really our only workable gym option right now so it is what it is. She also gets more homework than I would ideally like her to get and she is expected to turn in assignments daily -no work ahead of time. Also, not my first choice but it is what it is. I do think there's an issue with both in our society -why have kids' sports gotten so intense that it's necessary for kids to spend so much time practicing? And why are schools giving so much homework? FWIW I really do find that my DD's school gives sensible homework that the kids can learn from (no busy work) -but I would be a fan of having less or none of it and I'd also be a fan of cutting her gym hours in half -but I know that on half the hours she would not be able to compete reasonably in a JO program.

Like Samsmama, my DDs are on double accelerated tracks which means from 7th grade on, lots of their classes are high school level, with grades and credits. Homework accounts for part of the grade.

That said, we haven't had to miss practice (for any of them) in favor of homework so far. I have a 12yo 7th grade L7 and a Freshman serious dancer (=as much time at the studio as gymmie is at gym).
We leave straight from school 4 days/wk, actually gymmie has to leave school an hour early every day to get to practice. Our school is understanding and adjusted her schedule so that she "misses" two electives, no sweat. She does have lots of homework, but she is usually able to do some of it in school and she also gets a chance to do some of it after gym. her practice is done at 6 although I am still there working until at least 7, sometimes until 9, so she CAN get homework done at gym if need be. The dancer has it far worse as she goes straight from school to dance and is usually not home until past 9pm every night.

Our gyms official stand is Family, Education, Gymnastics. I have never heard any backlash for needing to take off for school events. I would imagine if it [taking practice off for homework or a test]was once or twice nothing would be said but I can totally see an older (middle school-up) gymnast being talked to about time management if it happened frequently...

I think we down under find it hard to comprehend the amount of homework the us kids get (though similar I think to the private schools here - main reason mine aren't in one)

So year 9 child - activities/works around 25 hours a week (3 afternoons plus Saturday)
Year 7 child - trains 6-7 days but two are only 1.5 hours.
Year 3 child - trains 5 days plus 2 for an extra sport, 20 hours plus the extra.
They all fit their homework in plus social time -(and lol plenty of Instagram time too!!)
But we are looking at a couple of hours a week homework. More studying time at exams for the older girls. Little more homework but a lot is done at school.
Some sxtra weekend assignments.

Personally I don't believe in heaps ofhomework and don't care if mundane stuff is done - but the girls do, so it gets done.
The curriculum can easily be covered in normal school hours. And that's with our basic classes being equivalent to most extension us classes.

Are your kids homeschooled? I am reading this over and trying to figure out how they have so much time. What are their school hours? My DD is in school 7 hours per day -which is probably on the high end of standard in the US. It sounds like your kids do a lot of sports, plus school, plus instagram and socializing, plus 2 hours per week of homework (which, by the way is probably more than my 9 year old does but her is in 30mins per night and she's at school and gym and commuting until after 8pm and then must squeeze in dinner, shower, homework so the 30 mins definitely feels like a lot). This just sounds like it would take more hours then are in a week so I'm curious about their school schedule.

Are your kids homeschooled? I am reading this over and trying to figure out how they have so much time. What are their school hours? My DD is in school 7 hours per day -which is probably on the high end of standard in the US. It sounds like your kids do a lot of sports, plus school, plus instagram and socializing, plus 2 hours per week of homework (which, by the way is probably more than my 9 year old does but her is in 30mins per night and she's at school and gym and commuting until after 8pm and then must squeeze in dinner, shower, homework so the 30 mins definitely feels like a lot). This just sounds like it would take more hours then are in a week so I'm curious about their school schedule.

No all in school. Older two Leave the house at 8 (public transport to school), home 3.40. (2.30 one day)
Younger one leaves the house at 8.55, home at 3.05. (Short drive!)
So prior to 9pm they have 5hr 20 and 5hrs 55. They all have at least 1 afternoon with little or nothing on. Plus Sunday's .
So easy to fit in a couple of hours homework or assignments. As well as time for their activities or work.
Younger ones homework probably totals an hour (she is slow at it lol) and has to be done during the week which is a bind but then assignments done on a weekend.
Older two tend to get a few days for homework or 2 weeks for assignments.

My other thought is how do kids have time to do homework at gym? If they have time at practice to do homework then practice is too long.

My kid has three hour practices. Other then stopping for water they are always doing something.

:cool:

Shelovesgym, to add. For instance this afternoon youngest had 40 mins before gym, she changed, smacked and got most of her weeks maths homework done in that time. She is at gym 4-8. When she gets home she will eat, shower and still manage a good hours tv time,
Middle only has 1.5 hours out so lots of time for Instagram, lol. And eldest is at home.
So any homework they would use this time.

Shelovesgym, to add. For instance this afternoon youngest had 40 mins before gym, she changed, smacked and got most of her weeks maths homework done in that time. She is at gym 4-8. When she gets home she will eat, shower and still manage a good hours tv time,
Middle only has 1.5 hours out so lots of time for Instagram, lol. And eldest is at home.
So any homework they would use this time.

I guess that makes sense. They have over 5 hours of gym in one afternoon? That's a long practice!

I guess that makes sense. They have over 5 hours of gym in one afternoon? That's a long practice!
No she goes 4 hrs.
When I mentioned 5-6 hours that's how long they have from getting home till 9pm to do homework, activities, work, tv, electronics, see friends, go to the mall etc).

To clarify mine and some of the other Australian parents attitudes.

Here in Australia homework does not count towards students grades, neither does class work or school attendance.

All our kids grades come from specific assessments. So not doing homework here does not affect GPA or keep them out of college. Kids generally attend school 6 hours a day.

This will help to explain such a difference in our attitudes. It is also much less pressing to attend university or college here. Kids are not expected to continue their education after high school unless their specifically chosen career requires it.

Research has shown that in the early years of school homework actually have a negative affect in learning, students who do homework don't achieve as highly as those who don't in general as it takes the spontaneity out of learning and makes it a chore. In upper elementary grades it has been found to have no effect good or bad on learning out comes and in the middle school years a positive effect that is so negligible that it isn't worth the time and effort. That is why I would consider blowing off homework acceptable and not blowing off gym.

Here in Australia homework does not count towards students grades, neither does class work or school attendance.

All our kids grades come from specific assessments. So not doing homework here does not affect GPA or keep them out of college. Kids generally attend school 6 hours a day.

Same in the UK, all graded work is done during school under "exam conditions"

This will help to explain such a difference in our attitudes. It is also much less pressing to attend university or college here. Kids are not expected to continue their education after high school unless their specifically chosen career requires it.

Research has shown that in the early years of school homework actually have a negative affect in learning, students who do homework don't achieve as highly as those who don't in general as it takes the spontaneity out of learning and makes it a chore. In upper elementary grades it has been found to have no effect good or bad on learning out comes and in the middle school years a positive effect that is so negligible that it isn't worth the time and effort. That is why I would consider blowing off homework acceptable and not blowing off gym.

And that is the difference, for sure! I wish that schools in the US had the same mentality but they don't, which is why many of us US parents were like "WHAT":eek:. Not doing homework in the US would result in a lower grade. Also, college is just about expected. If you want to be accepted into a good college, then you need to have amazing grades, high scores on standardized tests, and a great community service portfolio. It is extremely competitive. Is it wrong to have such a rigorous academic regimen, maybe. Do I disagree with homework, absolutely. Do I believe that homework can be counterproductive, yes, at times. But I also believe that if you are asked to complete something by an authority figure, whether it's busy work or not, then you have an obligation to do it. I am asked to complete things by my boss that I deem not necessary or "busy work" but I do it. If I don't do it, I risk the chance of being fired. That's my whole beef with the not completing home thing. As an adult, you are going to be asked to do somethings that you don't want to do. But as a responsible adult, you do it. I can't imagine not teaching my child that.

Again, the system you have in Australia seems to be working, which is a great thing. It is just complete different standards here in the US. My daughter leaves for school at 6:30 am, school from 7:15-2:15, gym from 4-8 (M-F, 5 days a week), arrives home at 8:45, dinner and shower puts her at 9:30, straight to bed gives her 9 hours sleep (if all goes as planned). As you can see, there is very little time to waste! She has to be a master of time management. Obviously our system is flawed, but it is what it is.

Best wishes!

Keep in mind, my US friends, that there are many great colleges and universities in the US that don't require applicants to have 4.0 GPAs, 95th plus percentile SAT/ACT scores, and proof of leadership in 45 extracurricular activities. If you are not in CA, MI, MA, or VA, you might consider looking first at your state's flagship state university. State universities often do not have the highly paid professional promotional people to trumpet their accomplishments and programs to the heavens, but they often have comparable accomplishments and programs, and most flagships have world class faculty who teach more undergraduate classes, particularly in the social sciences and the humanities, than faculty at private institutions. (The four states I mentioned do have flagships into which it's more difficult to secure admission.) Your child does not need to go to Harvard, Stanford, or the University of Chicago to get a fantastic undergraduate education that will open many doors for the future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back