Parents MOVING!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

billise

Proud Parent
We're headed out of state in a few weeks! We adore DD's gym and are super sad to be leaving :-(

New gym was HIGHLY recommended by DD's head coach so we're excited about that, a little nervous too though because old gym competed their compulsories in AAU, new gym is USA! DD (age 7) competed level 3 in the fall as a 6 year old (exact same routines as USA). She was going to repeat 3 this coming season. I'm just hoping she doesn't get dropped back to level 2 at the new gym as I hear USA tends to be a bit tougher. Any thoughts from those who have been involved with both AAU and USA?

Old gym is VERY successful at transitioning compulsory AAU to optional USA so I know she's been getting good coaching at current gym.

Good luck!

We went from AAU old L3 to USAG new L3 (meaning, moved up a level at the same time we switched from AAU to USAG). Although the new level was harder, we did notice harder scoring. But then again, it was also the same time all of the routines were changed, so we weren't sure if the difference was the judges looking for something new, or if it was tougher judging. As I type that, I realize we might have too many variables to answer your question...

But if your daughter did well enough last year and the routines are the same, I can't see them dropping her down a full level. Is the new gym very competitive?

If she had started USAG around here, she might be level 2 given her age (they are really nitpicky about USAG levels 1&2 even, contrary to most other regions), but I've seen some of your videos of your DD. Can't imagine they wouldn't place her on level 3. (Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a coach or expert.). She seems really talented! Yes, the scoring for USAG is harder than AAU from everything I've heard/seen. Good luck at the new gym!!

Yes, new gym seems to be pretty competitive. DD has had all her level 3 skills for a while now and has started training some level 4 stuff but her form leaves a bit to be desired so if new gym dropped her back it would be because of that not because she's missing skills. DD struggles with that body awareness issue. Her leg will be bent but she'll swear to you it's straight :)

^^Yes, same here. That's what I meant about the difference between USAG and AAU as far as I can see. The gyms here won't move them up until the form and body awareness is close to perfect or at least very good. My DD is right about your daughter's age. Skills are there, but form is still work in progress. So even though she has various skills above level 2, that's where she is now. May do 3 next season, but it's also possible she will do 2. But I would be surprised if your new gym drops her down to 2 if she already competed the same routines for level 3 last year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back