Need some idea on how to twist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Going backwards, there's actually a lot of leeway in where the full can start; as long as your feet leave the floor before you initiate the twist, you're fine. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually much easier and less scary than a half, because you can see the ground the whole time.

Going forwards is slightly more complicated. In my opinion, front twisting should be done from a pike rather than from a layout. This forces a delayed twist.

The way I would train it is to first do a front pike half with the arms out as wide as you can get them while still completing the rotation. The idea is to time the twist so you can see the trampoline for the whole skill, from beginning to end.

Once you can do the half with the arms wide, it's a simple matter of pulling them closer to the body to accelerate the rotation and finish the full. You should still be able to see the trampoline for the bulk of the skill, though the landing will be blind.

for back twisting, try to draw a dot (with chalk..) on the shoulder you pull too. so that way you make sure you have your head with you. because when i was learning fulls, i always lost my head after the half.. and also make sure that when you pull you dont loose your lower half. lk my i pulled to my right sholder, and i would always arch, and end up loosing my lower half and only make the half.. no matter how much i tried to keep my stomach tight , and squeeze my butt it just wouldn't work (for me that is..) so then i tried pulling, one arm to my shoulder , and one arm to my hip. so that way my pull has both 'parts' of my body. the first time i did that i made it. it came as a HUGE shock. lol.

some drills for twisting is, put your feet up onto like a pannel mat or the tumble track. your going to be in a straight body, so your back and butt aren't going to be touching. start with your arms at your ears, as if it were your set for a layout . then pull your arms like you would to twist, your going to end up 'rolling' down the pannel mat or tumble track. until you reach the full. it helps to get you used to where your arms are, and how to rotate your hips, and body as a whole.

and like GT said, once you get the full, its way easier and less scary.

for me, im still kinda learning front twisting. and i tell my self punch layout pull.
so this way i know i get my hieght, and i dont twist right off.. but for front the way i think of it is do a front layout, then pull as if it were like back twisting.. since im still learning it, i cant tell you how to know where you are when you twisting, or when to expect the ground, or anything. but think to go up start to flip, then pull as hard as you can (while staying tight) .

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4T0Pk6KYchc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4T0Pk6KYchc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back