DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
somehow my question is gone, so here is it again:

Do you teach a good BHS before you add it to the RO ? That is my opinion but our headcoach..long story short..insist to teach the BHS directly from the beginning with a RO....???:confused:

i think it is a good idea, that way the difference is nothing it will just result in better height, vs them trying to do it all right away and freaking out in the air and landing on they're head.

ok for my convenience i call BHS a flip so thats how it will be in this post

When i learnt it we learnt flip on trampoline then connected that flip to a round off on tramp. when that was good, we went to floor and learnt a decent standing flip (not perfect just decent) we then connected it to round off flip with a spot then round off flip on floor :)

I liked that progression it was quite quick for me i put it from trampoline to by myself on floor by myself in one training session.

It's very individual for me.

Before we even think about adding a BHS to a roundoff, I want it long, tight, proper block, head in--technically strong. This takes a lot of work, esp if a kid has a "roundoff" that needs fixing.

As far as doing the BHS goes, I want it to be tight and consistent from a stand on TT, from a jump to angle on TT, into a squishy off TT, and on the floor. That doesn't mean it has to be 100% independent, but it does need to be consistent and have good shapes.

Before adding the RO to the BHS I like to do angle BHS, snapdown BHS, and 2 BHS in a row--with or without a spot. These drills are all easier to correct if something goes wonky & use many of the same shapes and actions as RO BHS.

I wouldn't really ever have them do RO BHS without ever having done a BHS before. But I don't necessarily wait until they can do a perfect standing BHS by themselves without assistance before doing the RO BHS. I wait until they can do a good RO jump back and a good spotted BHS. Works fine for me, all my L4s can do a good RO BHS BHS less than a year after I taught RO BHS in preteam. I generally view the whole thing as a process. Super spotted standing BHS (stop in handstand, fall to pushup) is the first phase though.

Thanks for all your replys ...
Our coach said RO pause and BHS , not to wait for a good technique. But I tatally agree with all of you.

But one more question what is an angel BHS ?

Oh no, definitely no RO pause BHS. That is the worst way to go about it as far as I'm concerned, unless your only goal is for them to ever throw a sloppy RO BHS. RO tight jump back is a must.

it to the RO ? That is my opinion but our headcoach..long story short..insist to teach the BHS directly from the beginning with a RO....???

Angle-bhs goes like this:

1. The athlete stands as tall and tight as she can with her arms straight and squeezed to her ears.
2.Athlete jumps her feet 2 feet forward, leaving her shoulders in the same place & maintaining that tight body.
3. Athlete rebounds from that jump (to an angle) into a tight BHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back