WAG Stay in L9 or move up to L10?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My daughter is currently a 11 yo, L9. We switched gyms in the early part of last season. The policy of the new gym for new gymnast is to forfeit the season. She only had one L9 meet under her belt at the old gym. This summer, the new coach told us we have two options, she can compete L9 this next season or move up to L10. The head coach feels she picks skills up pretty quickly and can competently compete L10. The HC however told us that as a L9 she is highly likely to make regionals and nationals. (Since she pretty much forfeited last season, she never got to regionals or nationals.) As a L10, however, the HC said that although she does have a chance to make both regionals and nationals, it may not be as strong as her L9 routine. The HC feels she'd be fine in either Level.

My daughter says she thinks she wants to stay at L9 because she feels at 11, she'll be in L10 for 6 years. I think it will also be nice for her to get to L9 regionals and nationals. But at the same time, my daughter goes back and forth about wanting to try elite. The elite path may be a far reach because I feel my daughter has way too many interests. More importantly, there are no gyms within a 2 hour drive that trains elite. Also, I don't want to split up our family. The possibility of elite is pretty small, but I also don't want to completely eliminate this possibility as I do not know what the future holds. So if she stays in L9, she may be getting too old to go elite. I probably should not have even mentioned the elite path but even if there is only a 1% chance, I feel it still needs to be put on the equation.

Any suggestions, insights will be greatly appreciated.

Since the coaches are leaving it up to you, I would let dd decide. She needs to be fully invested and is old enough to make the decision.

Why in the world do they make gymnasts forfeit the season? So any gymnast that moves in and has skills and routines but the season has already started is not allowed to compete? That's crazy and I see no logic behind it. Obviously that was not your question, but it stuck out to me.

I don't think it matters what level she competes. Competing level 9 with whatever skills she has won't hurt her in the long run. Repeating an optional level is not like repeating a compulsory level. She can up her skills beyond what she had last year and compete most of those skills even if she competes as a 9 instead of 10. So I'd just want her to train hard and don't worry about what level. Then pick which one best suits her closer to the meet season.

The question of level isn't as relevant to the issue of elite as it seems. It's not like with the JO levels where you have to do one to progress to the other. It's more important that she's doing certain skills, and getting exposure to the national team staff.

In some regions it would be easier to get to level 10 nationals as a Jr A. But not your region. I'd stick with level 9, personally, unless you think the coaches won't be as motivated to train her, or she'd be in a different group that went less hours. In most gyms, competing level 9s and competing 10s do basically the same training. If that is not true, then I would take that into account when deciding.

Thank you wallflower and gymdog. That is exactly what I needed to know.

As far as wallflower's question on forfeiting the season, that was my sentiments exactly. But having gone through it, and the situation we were in, I do see the logic. I think this policy has two parts to it.

First, for the gymnast's safety. It takes a while for coach and gymnast to trust each other, learn each others nuances. A new coach does not know exactly where the gymnast needs assistance. In the compulsory level, it is easier to switch. But at L9, I think there is more involved. In addition, my daughter's former coaches were not the best at training skills. And this new coach has on several occasions indicated his/her lack of respect for them. The HC saw my daughter at a meet and was troubled at the bar routine and bar settings my daughter had. The HC also indicated there were a lot of bad habits that needed correcting. Apparently, the uneven bars were too far apart. She was not tapping, not setting on floor, opens up her hips on beam series, etc. It is interesting with all these problems, she got to L9 and up until L9 was constantly winning meets.

Second, I think it alleviates pressure on the coach. The HC told me they are dug deep into the season and that all the drills to correct problems were done during the summer. The concentration the HC feels is now focused on competing his current team.

I did feel my daughter was overlooked from the time we switched which was in Jan. until the end of the season. She pretty much was held in the back burner. But the HC now sees her potential. If my daughter had a full L9 season, I'd be more inclined to go L10.

Let her make the decision.

She can either have a really successful L9 season or a hit or miss as a L10. Many L9's actually compete 2 years as a L9 unless they are phenoms.

Is she just turned 11 or 11 going on 12 relatively soon?

Though she is young, you may need to sit down with her and/or her coach and discuss her future. L10/collegiate or Elite. You've already stated the 2hr drive and sending her away are not too likely. It means she would have to forgo other interests. Is she doing Hopes?

I do not think that competing another year of L9 will hold her back from the possibility of Elite. She can still be uptraining L10 skills.

Strong 9/Weak-Middle 10 means the same thing skill wise roughly.

She could train for 10 and drop back to 9 if it seems like it won't happen. Her routines should be Plug and Play to the point she could upgrade skills and keep the same basic sequences and choreography.

I like the idea of L9. Her only "big time" experience was possibly L8 states and maybe regionals. It's a long stretch from L8 post season to L10 post season. The standard a lot of kids measure themselves by is their post season experience, and It would be nice to let her have those 15 minutes of fame before moving up to L10.

There's no need to worry about age and elite dreams. She has plenty of time and seems to be progressing at a pace that could support the elite dream. Tell her to work hard, dream big, and let the elite experience come to her...... because that's the way it works.

Ditto ^^^^ my DD made L9 Nationals after missing L8 Regionals the year before by less than one-tenth. The experience she had at Easterns was one she will not soon forget. We are in a very competitive region for L10 Jr A, she made not make it to JO Nationals this year or next, who knows what the future will bring.

As for your DD's elite aspirations, having the nearest gym 2 hours away, that's a whole other set of decisions that you need to make regardless of whether she repeats 9 (not really if she only did one meet) or goes 10 this year.

I would let DD choose. If she is more comfortable at L9 which seems to be what she has said then go with that. If nothing else she will feel confident with her wins this season and will more than make her strong for next year as a L10. 6 yrs is a long time at L10 why make it 7yrs.

Is she just turned 11 or 11 going on 12 relatively soon?.

She is 11 going on 12 in a couple months.

Thanks everyone for the responses. They are all very helpful. And I concur that repeating L9 is probably what is best for the various reasons everyone has stated. Plus elite is indeed a little remote for us. I just wanted to make sure there was not something I was overlooking by having her repeat L9. As gymmonkeymomma indicated, who knows what will happen at L10. Last season was very uneventful (because she hardly competed and actually had to take a step back on her skills to correct some bad habits) but at the time was very eventful/traumatic because she had to leave good friends behind. She had a truly tough few months missing her old gym. A good, happy, successful L9 seasons is probably what she needs. Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight.

do level 9 one more year to acclimate to the new stuff. she'll be more successful. plenty of time for failure later when she's 12 or 13. lol. :)

do level 9 one more year to acclimate to the new stuff. she'll be more successful. plenty of time for failure later when she's 12 or 13. lol. :)

Just curious and for clarification as well, is 12 or 13 or L10 where gymnasts sink or swim? I know there seems to be a large drop off around L7. But what experiences/insights can you share about getting to L10 or hitting puberty? Have you "generally" seen a decline in their progress, strength, abilities, etc. I am referring to the JO gymnast not elites. Does "failure" become more rampant? Do inadequacies in basic training/foundation rear it ugly head? For some reason, I feel my daughter may have "bluffed" her way through L8 and part of L9 (doing shortcuts, lack of strenght training or proper coaching). Can one still bluff their way through L10 and do well?Can you still get decent scores 35s to even 36s if you are not doing things correctly?

Way more difficulty in L10 than L9.

Size would have something to do with it definitely between puberty and just getting taller even if they stay light.

Age becomes a factor as of course they get more social opportunities in Junior High/HS. 12 is about 6th grade and things start then and get more and more with Junior High.

In terms of moving from L9 to L10, it's been way harder for my daughter who has always done well. She competed as a first year level 10 as a 12 year old. The skills were harder and I think the judging also. I was surprised at some of her scores because it appeared that the judges were taking deductions that they had never taken before. Training has been a lot harder on her body also as she has experienced injuries that she never had before. All of them were due to the increased impacts on her joints. After the season was over, she admitted that she wouldn't have minded doing another year of L9.

A lot of champions become elites at 12 and even 13! If she has the extra season to strengthen her routines and skills in L9, then it would be more beneficial in the long run. But, If she gets skills quickly, then L10 can be great for her. I would let her decide because its her gym career.

Thank you wallflower and gymdog. That is exactly what I needed to know.

As far as wallflower's question on forfeiting the season, that was my sentiments exactly. But having gone through it, and the situation we were in, I do see the logic. I think this policy has two parts to it.

First, for the gymnast's safety. It takes a while for coach and gymnast to trust each other, learn each others nuances. A new coach does not know exactly where the gymnast needs assistance. In the compulsory level, it is easier to switch. But at L9, I think there is more involved. In addition, my daughter's former coaches were not the best at training skills. And this new coach has on several occasions indicated his/her lack of respect for them. The HC saw my daughter at a meet and was troubled at the bar routine and bar settings my daughter had. The HC also indicated there were a lot of bad habits that needed correcting. Apparently, the uneven bars were too far apart. She was not tapping, not setting on floor, opens up her hips on beam series, etc. It is interesting with all these problems, she got to L9 and up until L9 was constantly winning meets.

Second, I think it alleviates pressure on the coach. The HC told me they are dug deep into the season and that all the drills to correct problems were done during the summer. The concentration the HC feels is now focused on competing his current team.

I did feel my daughter was overlooked from the time we switched which was in Jan. until the end of the season. She pretty much was held in the back burner. But the HC now sees her potential. If my daughter had a full L9 season, I'd be more inclined to go L10.

It sounds like it made sense in your DD's case to not have her compete due to the issues you mentioned. It just doesn't seem like it makes sense for a child who has everything solid and at a level acceptable to the coaches. DD's gym has a huge level 9/10 team and they get a lot of girls moving in. There were 2 level 10's who moved over during January. Both made JO Nationals the year before and again this year. I just can't imagine a gym having a policy like that for every kid that moves in. Sounds like it was smart for your DD though.

Just curious and for clarification as well, is 12 or 13 or L10 where gymnasts sink or swim? I know there seems to be a large drop off around L7. But what experiences/insights can you share about getting to L10 or hitting puberty? Have you "generally" seen a decline in their progress, strength, abilities, etc. I am referring to the JO gymnast not elites. Does "failure" become more rampant? Do inadequacies in basic training/foundation rear it ugly head? For some reason, I feel my daughter may have "bluffed" her way through L8 and part of L9 (doing shortcuts, lack of strenght training or proper coaching). Can one still bluff their way through L10 and do well?Can you still get decent scores 35s to even 36s if you are not doing things correctly?

the older you get, the harder it gets. this is why preparation is everything. give her more time to develop as a 9 moving to 1o and both the transition and competing at 10 a bit older will be "easier" in her head. capiche? :)

Gymnastics careers are marathons, not sprints. It sounds to me like she needs a good season at her current level. She'll still have, what, six years as a level 10.

One other advantage to doing another year at L9 at her age is that the age groupings at meets were a lot different in L9 than 10. My daughter was in the youngest age group in both but in 9 the age span was much smaller. In L10, she was usually grouped with girls who were up to 3 years older than her. Some, not all, had already competed L10 so they definitely had an advantage on her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back