Parents Team placing question - Meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Have you ever been to a meet where the team awards were based on the total sum of all competing athletes?

It doesn't seem fair or logical and I never saw it done this way before. A team of 6 doesn't really have any chance against a team of 12 - no matter what the scores

Jess did good and had a blast - the rest of us are worn out after waiting in the cold over an hour to get in. They split the session in half for awards and that put Jess in "junior" which was, I think, 10 and under.

She placed 2nd on beam with a 9.5 (personal best) and was off to a great start. Floor was next. She tripped over her own feet (which she thinks is the funniest thing ever) right in front of the judge . . who naturally was looking LOL 9.4 (5th place) Vault looked great 8.8 (tied with 6 kids for 6th place) Bars was last and we were hopeful for a 9 - practice has been looking so good . . . eh 8.9. 4th All Around. pizza with a few girls after to celebrate - it was a good, although long, day!

I have never seen team scores that way and you are right...makes NO sense!:confused:

Those are some crazy high floor and beam scores! Congrats to her!:)

Nope - never heard of that - sounds crazy ! I would not think it would be allowed at a USAG sanctioned meet.

Your DD did amazing by the way. 9.4's WOW !!!

That is incredibly strange, a sum of all the girls scores?

Congrats to your DD for the great scores! sounds like she had a great meet.

Congrats. It sounds like she did awesome. I have never heard of such a thing on the team scores. It is definitely not fair. I might understand if they took the average of all the girls' scores, but not the total sum.

Sounds like a pretty good meet!
And that method for team placement makes NO sense--a smaller team hasn't a chance!

Video

So I am officially addicted to youtube and couldn't seem to stop myself from making and posting a video . . .

[youtube]_dhXFGU9LBk[/youtube]

*at the time fo this posting it wasn't done processing . . . but if I don't post the link now I'm sure I'll forget LOL:eek:

It depends on how "team scores" were posted as being calculated...in some meets, it's the 4 best scores , others it's the top 3 scores of previously designated gymnasts (so if gymnasts A, B & C are designated but D and E do better, their scores wouldn't count) and sometimes its the team total (I think the Excalibur Meet had a system like this)...it kind of prompts your gym to bring more gymnasts, and another meet we were at had SUPERTEAM (for gyms with more than 20 gymnasts) , MIDDLE SIZE TEAM (11-19) , and SMALL TEAM (under 10 gymnasts) ...I think as long as the meet director states how it will be done, then it's ok.:)

A sum of the whole team is kind of odd to me. But hey what do I know. :D

So I am officially addicted to youtube and couldn't seem to stop myself from making and posting a video . . .

[youtube]_dhXFGU9LBk[/youtube]

*at the time fo this posting it wasn't done processing . . . but if I don't post the link now I'm sure I'll forget LOL:eek:

Says you removed it??

[youtube]GtljzdXsVpo[/youtube]

I had a problem and had to repost the video to youtube - but chalkbucket isn't letting me edit the original post :confused:

here it is :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back