WAG Cast handstand help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been having troubles with my cast handstands on bars specifically on where my shoulders need to be. I know they need to be leaning forward but is there any drills or things I can do to keep my shoulders in the right position?

Put an 8-inch under the bar. Then do a cast, put your toes on the bar in a straddle, push off, and land on your back on the 8-inch. Eventually progress to missing your toes. Then do these with ankle weights on. These help your body remember the hollow body position and shoulder position needed to cast hand effectively.

If you need help on kip cast handstands, do a drop kip with ankle weights into the cast overs. You can also do these from a normal kip too, though I probably wouldn't do those with ankle weights on.

An important thing to remember is to get your wrists on the front of the bar. What helps me het my shoulders in the right position is think of casting over.

These drills are easier to do on the low bar because they require less mating, but they're possible on a higher bar, you just need a couple more mats.

I hope this helps. :)

Lots of spotting by your coach in the beginning to help you feel your shoulders over, the shape, back to the bar, twist off, etc. Tough skill with not too many short cuts. Good luck. :)

I had my coach spot me on a bunch... And you can't be afraid to lean. I had to do a few where I lean so far I just fall over the other side. You can put a UCS or some kind of comfy set up under or on the other side of the bar and cast as much as you can and fall over on the mat. Then you get the muscle that will get you to lean. I just got mine. Eventually it will come. :)

You may be on to something good, but which is the front side of the bar?
The side where your fingers are. Or at least that's where it is in my head. How about just think of getting your wrists towards the same side of the bar as your fingers, as versus keeping them on top of the bar which pretty much always results in your cast being short of handstand.

The side where your fingers are. Or at least that's where it is in my head. How about just think of getting your wrists towards the same side of the bar as your fingers, as versus keeping them on top of the bar which pretty much always results in your cast being short of handstand.
Bingo!!

The problem with a lot of cast is the gymnast is leaning her wrists back while leaning her shoulders forward.... 1000 x (shoulder lean - wrist lean) = zero technique and lots of compensating bad habits.

Can it be done with a backward leaning wrist? Sure, if you're a pretty good L9 or L10, and already know and do all the other components of the cast....... or if you want to take 3 times as long to learn it.

I thought my shoulders were to weak to do a cast handstand but really I was sacred. To make myself more comfortable with leaning I would put my feet on the edge of my couch and kind of rock back and forth so my shoulders were behind my hands then shoulders over hands! It really helps! Also I know this is bad technique but I immediately got over my fear when I just casted a little bit then kinda just chucked myself over the bar and bent my arms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back