WAG Connecting ROBHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a round-off and a standing BHS. I used to be able to connect them, but one time when I tried to connect it I fell and now I can't seem to bring myself to do it again. Does anyone know any drills to help me connect it again? (I need this skill if I want to move up to xcel gold next season)

My 8 year old is currently working in round off back handspring and she is having trouble connecting the two together, she can do a round off jump/fall back with no trouble and she can do a round off, then stop where the coach is waiting ready to spot her back handspring, then do a back handspring, at the moment she cannot connect the two, she said she is afraid if going for it and accidentally kicking the coaches.

Hopefully it won't be long until it clicks, I am not too concerned at the moment that she cannot do it yet as they have only been working on this skill for a few weeks, my daughter can it do a back handspring with out a spot yet, she still has a light spot when doing them on a wedge mat, I have no idea how long it takes to do a back handspring without a spot, at the moment she seems to be at the same stage, doing them with a light spot, same as the round off back handsprings , she still seems no further forward with this either.

Is the back handspring a skill that takes a long time to master, even from a light spot? Doing them on a trampoline is no go for my daughter as she hates the way the trampoline moves when she does it with a spot.

I struggled with that "simple" move for YEARS. Even today I doubt myself, but I've definitely got it down now. I can proudly do multiple back handsprings out of a round off. But what really helped me with connection are a couple tips.

1. Try to finish you round off rebounding straight up. When connecting, a lot of people rush and ruin their round off by finishing piked are just throwing a bad back handspring. Remember to push straight up like you're standing.

2. Try to scoop your feet under you. Do you round off and when you push off your hands literally scoop your feet under so fast as if you're trying to flip over onto your back.

3. Jump BACK. I know it's a lot easier said than done but literally jump backwards. I don't know how else to explain it.

4. Separate the skills. In your mind think: round off, rebound, back handspring. Take each skill one at a time, don't rush it, and don't let your mind go blank when you tumble. Think about what you're doing.

Focus, breathe, and just go for it. You've done it before so your body knows what it's supposed to do.

Good luck!

Work on standing flics on trampoline or tumble track with arms to ears and no arms swing, just like you would from a round off.

On floor I find doing drills like a forward roll to a flic, or a backward roll to a flic are helpful in gaining the understanding of direction, building confidence to connect and they are good fun.

Work on two connected flics, this again is a similar action to the round off flic but you will not have to worry about your round off going off direction.

Work on round offs and flying to back on a mat stack.

If you have a back handspring trainer in the gym (the tear drop shaped ones) you can do round off flics over that too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back