Coaches Different twisting techniques & timing...thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CoachGoofy

I have a couple of L8 trampolinists who...well, twisting has been exciting (as in they can both double front-half out and double back and cody and all that other exciting stuff. They JUST got fulls).

They're both pretty acceptable front twisters now that they understand how to keep the twist going-one has a solid rudi, the other one is about 1/16 of a twist short.

But OMG back twisting. They both have nice back straights. One of the girls forgets to set & initiates twist before she takes off and arches and obviously the full doesn't happen. The other twists when she's parallel to the ground & seems to get lost in the air--she does the first quarter slow and the remaining three quarters she pulls so fast that she can't find the ground to put her feet on it.

We've been working on a verrrry late twist (see the ground. pull. land) and that's working for them both-the 2nd more than the 1st-but that's not exactly a solid long term strategy. I can't see a full in or a double full working that way.

Thoughts? suggestions? These girls are both really hard workers and I just may be out of magic words.

are they twisting backwards the same direction that they do forwards?

So given that they are trampolinist, straight arm twisting is a must??? Not sure about tramp rules.
In any case the key things are that they take of with uneven arms, example if she is twisting right, she needs to take off with both arms up, but the left arm is straight and close to her ear, where the right arm is slightly abducted to up to a 45deg. This uneven arm position in itself initiate the the twisting, as the gymnast goes upside down they can fully first drop the right arm, followed by the left arm (by her side not infront). When doing this she should be able to spot the ground already, and should not have a problem doing the full, given that she has an understanding of the arm drop and position and the twisting feeling (even if little) this should help her improve her full. The 3/2 and so forth works the same way but just more aggressive. Tension is KEY of course and twisting with the whole body and not just shoulders or hips.

Hope that helps, a video would really help to give better suggestions/more specific.

Yep, straight arm twisting.

Thank ya. I'm going to try that with her today. We've been doing a slight Y to "put both hands in your right pocket" and obviously that's not working.

I'm not sure if I can get a video but I'll see what I can do.

I naturally do a full twist with straight arms, because that's just the only way I can do a full. I mean I perceive most correct fulls to have relatively straight arms but someone was making fun of me for it the other day so mine must be weird. I have no air sense whatsoever. All I know in my mind is that my arms do different things in a full and a double full. After I land I could hardly tell you what I even just did.

Anyway for what it's worth I don't pull both arms towards the right side like that as far as I can tell. Well actually I twist left so I'm almost definitely sure that is not what I do :) I'm pretty sure my left arm drops first and then my right arm comes in around the half. Dropping (or pulling, in my case) both arms at the same time would shorten my body length too dramatically for just a full. Maybe they can try to just drop their right arm into a half (land right arm down left arm up...maybe even onto a mat stack on their back - 3/4 flip?), and then pull across for the second half.

I've seen the do a layout with arm pull, then just pull both arms to one side. My thought is you might get an awkward half from that so it could be okay just to be able to get the idea of twisting the correct direction at all. But I don't think that technique lends well to a full at all. Some may be able to easily adjust and just naturally understand the "uneven" arm drop but some may need to actually learn the half initiated from just one arm dropping first.

Yep, straight arm twisting.

Thank ya. I'm going to try that with her today. We've been doing a slight Y to "put both hands in your right pocket" and obviously that's not working.

I'm not sure if I can get a video but I'll see what I can do.

for what you're asking, video would be more helpful to me to help you.:)

0.o She got it. I said one of thestrangest things I've ever said, possibly ever, and she got it!

The magic words, apparently, were "sort of underrotate your back straight". Tada. She stuck about 25 today.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back