WAG Funny observation about free hips and

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
More proof that no matter how much I think I know about gymnastics, I really don't know much. :)

It turns out that (in case you didn't know, lol), that a free hip and a clear hip are the same thing!

So you guys have been talking about the new levels and I think level 5 they are doing clear hips. My dd has been working them starting this year at the Pre-National Elite level here and I was amazed at the fact that the US level 5 is so advanced compared to Canada.

AND, it also turns out that there are 2 totally different things, and that there is a free hip and then a free hip to handstand. So level 5 is a free hip and my dd is doing one to a handstand, and the handstand one is way harder.

I was thinking I needed a t-shirt that says "Everything I know about gymnastics, I learned from Chalkbucket", but then I thought that might be some bad advertising for the site.

:)

I too have found it odd that in previous years Ontario gyms really haven't seemed to focus on the free hip like our counterparts in the US. Our gymmies only did it if they required it for a US meet, and then they were only "barely there" in some instances because it was a fun meet.

Even the higher level girls weren't previously including it in their routines as there were options such as the toe up (a lot of our L8s, etc. did this.

But now EVERYONE in our gym from pre 3s (so 8 year olds) up are working on various levels of free hips due to the change to JO, from the basic to full handstand like your daughter (and mine). I think it's quite tough for those girls at higher levels who've never mastered even the basic FH.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back