Having major issues on bars and it is getting frustrating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
i have recently restarted gym in level 4/5 my skills are all fine except for those on bars

for my routine i need:
Pullover - fine
Back hip circle - one of the biggest issues i have is getting my hips back on the bar before i rotate and i tend to pike. i know what i am doing wrong i just need to fix it how do i go about getting a good back hip circle
Cast - my cast is horrible shape my back is arched and i am not over the bar properly how do i improve my shape because what i do at the moment is lift my bum and chest up but then my feet are quite low (but im in hollow not pike) is what i am doing sounding right to you guys and do i just need to get a more powerful cast\
Jump to high bar at the moment i am working on a squat on and i seem to be scared of bending my legs whilst on bars, while this being a good thing at times it isn't good when you are squatting on

And any tips on a toe shoot would be good

(I am a gymnast, not a coach, but here goes anyway)
Back hip circle: think about squeezing your butt and stomach, which will keep your body shape hollowish. Think about completing the entire cast before starting to go around the bar.

Cast: If you're arching, then you're not hollow. Start the swing by using your feet. Then when your feet and legs go high enough, squeeze your stomach to a hollow position. Also make sure your shoulders are over the bar so that you can have a bigger cast in a better position.

Squat-on: Work on them with a floor bar or your hands on a line. Start in a push-up position and jump your feet in-between your hands, like a squat-on. Make sure your shoulders are over the bar, again. Bring your knees up to your chest like a tuck jump.

It sounds like you might need to improve your conditioning and core body strength a bit. If you have only just returned after a break this would certainly be the case. This will enable you to hold the tight hollow position necessary for the back hip and cast.

Toe shoot - best to start on floor bar. Jump feet to straddle on, and fall back onto crashy. You need to make sure your straddle is on top of the bar.

You need strong cast to do a toe shoot as you need to cast high enough to straddle on top of the bar. Once in straddle make sure you swing under bar with straight legs, and don't let go too early. You need to be able to go under up and then let go to land.

both of you sound right my strength is not fantastic as muscle does not build over night and believe me i need to do more conditioning.

When casting does it sort of go in the following order
1. swing legs
2. get legs high enough
3. suck tummy to hollow

and just clarifying that the toe shoot is a dismount not to the high bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back