WAG judges: bar question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
At what point does judging begin again when a gymnast falls from the high bar in the middle of a routine? Ex. If the gymnast chooses to kip on the low bar to jump to high bar, does that kip count or does judging resume only at the point where she fell?

Over here, it's irrelevant how the gymnast gets back up there. We wouldn't judge the mount, i.e. the kip squat on jump to high bar (even if the gymnast fell again), though I'd think most coaches would simply lift their gymnasts back up to the high bar.

Curious as to how judging rules might differ in the US.

In JO, the exact rule is
"After a fall from the bars, judging resumes with the performance of an element that is listed in the Jr. Olympic Code of Points."

So, if the gymnast gets back to the high bar via a low bar kip followed by a squat on, yes, the kip and the squat on are judged. This matters in L10 where only one squat on is allowed per routine. If the gymnast jumps or is lifted to the high bar (with a push from the coach allowed), they get two unjudged pump swings to get momentum, then judging starts so any extra swings past two get an empty swing deduction.

Good to know since I was told that they start judging again at the point where the fall occurred.
So if a level 6 or 7 gymnast does the low bar part of her routine well but then goes over the high bar after doing a kip-CHS - what is the best way to get back to the high bar without incurring more deductions? A simple kip squat on, jump to high bar? Or being lifted up by her coach?

not a judge, but our girls jump to front support and climb up with one leg to stand on the low bar and then jump to high bar and kip up to re-cast to HS to start their giants.

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought. I did forget about only one squat on in L10. What is the deduction for 2 squat ons?

In JO optional levels, judging resumes with the first skill in the COP. In compulsory levels, it resumes where they left off.

Compulsory starts at skill fallen on. Optional is any skill, Edit. What Fuzi said :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back