WAG Kip Help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The kip is a mean and nasty skill. Be prepared for it to take a while. Be prepared to get it, then loose it again, get it again, loose it again...
Lots of toes ups, (not quite sure what the drill is called in English) lots of wrist shifting drills, lots of spotted drop kips, lots repetitions...
There is not much we can tell you to help you get it, in the end it's up to your coach.
A thing that might help however is watching a lot of correct kips on youtube, maybe in slowmotion too.
Just don't give up, eventually you will get it!

My 11 year old is also struggling with hers. She seems to have the bottom one okay, but it's ugly as all get out. She gets her shoulders above the bar on the high bar kip, but can't manage to get to support. She is beyond frustrated because she's been working at it for several months now and feels like she hasn't made much progress.

It took my DD almost 9 months to get her kip. It can be very frustrating but don't give up! It takes a lot of time and patience. Some kids seem to have trouble with timing skills such as the kip. That is how my DD is. She recently had similar struggles learning her clear hip to handstand, but she finally got it, again, after many months. Good luck!

Just think extend, pull up your pants, then shift. For me, it's easier to think of that. You should especially think of that for your long hand kip. My teammates help me in my long hand kip by saying "wait" like really long at the right moment and when they stop saying "wait", you pull your feet to the bars... and shift!

Good luck with your kip!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back