WAG L8 Regional Qualification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone tell me how to figure out who qualified for regionals? We live in TX and have 1 L8 at our gym who competed at state this weekend. She's 13 and finished 27th (out of 59) in her age group with an AA score of 36.45. The USAG website shows 66 13 year olds from TX can be sent to regionals, but there are only 59 13 year olds competing. So, does this mean that all the 13 year olds will get to go? If so, it doesn't make much sense in having a state meet. The website also discussed the range of at-large scores, which she is above (the highest at-large score is a 36.175, through 3 sessions). I'm asking because, even though this isn't my DD, my DD will be L7 in January, so I'm curious how the whole optionals scoring works.

Looks like region 3 is similar to region 8. Looking at the 3 charts on the region 3 site for level 8, the first chart is the total number of possible qualifiers (they don't specify what qualifies them. In region 8, it is the number of girls who score above a certain number). The second chart tells you how many get to go to regionals. So for 13yr olds, there will be 33 slots. On top of that, the third chart tells you how many additional gymnasts qualify based on high score, regardless of age group. So after the age group qualifiers are determined, the scores are placed highest to lowest for the renaming girls, regardless of age, and the top girls from that list also qualify.

I have to say, I much prefer this set up to region 8, which goes just by AA score, regardless of age. This usually means lots of little ones and few older girls. I like the 2 tier system, which accounts for both age and highest scores.

On the region three website there is a link to the level 8 regional percentages charts.The first chart shows the number each state was supposed to have compete in each age division. For 13 year olds from Tx that number was 66, in the chart below it shows that 33 would advance. After every session is finished they will combine all of the age groups and take the next 47 girls (who didn't qualify in their age group) for the at large athletes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back