Parents Level 3 bar help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymgem05

Proud Parent
My dd has a beautiful level 3 bar routine.... Well that is except for her under swing dismount! She is throwing her head back and it is so noticeable. I'm surprised she hasn't given herself whiplash! She and her coaches can't seem to figure out what's causing her to do it. She insists that she just can't do it. She has even resorted to biting on her leotard during the skill to keep her head in position. If there are any ideas or advice I can pass on to her it would be greatly appreciated.

As the rest of her routine is great obviously your coaches have done a good job. They will know how to correct this ( I suspect a lot of drills etc), but some skills/ skill corrections take time. I would kick back, relax and get your daughter to focus on 4 positive things each session. If she is worried, just remind her of a previous skill ( maybe a handstand hold when she first started etc that also took awhile coming but now is good) and quickly move onto other more positive aspects she is training. As a parent it's hard watching our gymmies struggle but it's all part of the journey :) Sometimes IMO if we as parents get too caught up in skills our Dd's are struggling with it makes it seem more serious for the gymmie - where as a casual comment by the parent and a refocus on the positive tends to diffuse the anxiety- everyone feels better-it's worked so far for us. Good Luck:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back