Level 4 Beam deduction?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Is there a deduction for a USAG Level 4 gymnast hitting vertical on handstand?

I just read in another thread where someone thought that there was a deduction, but couldn't remember.

If yes, what is the deduction? .1? .3? full value of the skill?

I only wonder because my dd's L4 teammates regularly score between 9.0 and 9.65 on beam depending on the kid - and they all hit vertical and stay there. Our coaches actually encourage the kids to hold their handstands starting at Level 3 (for three seconds.)

I can see the logic behind holding the handstand and taking the deduction, but...well, before I go on, I guess I should know for sure if there is or is not a deduction.

L4 routine only requires a 3/4 handstand with an assigned value of 0.6 for the skill. There is no deduction (assuming proper form) for hitting a full handstand or even holding it. The deductions per the Table of Penalties are as follows:

Incorrect (staggered) hand placement - 0.1
Failure to achieve 3/4 Handstand position - Up to 0.30
Failure to close (join) legs - 0.1

This came up last year too and I thought the L4's did have to be vertical, but was told no they didn't. For L5 though you will need to be and also have to do the split leg down (not sure what that is called) for the points.

Level 4's are required to hit at least a 3/4 handstand and hold it for 1 second, I find it very hard to hold a 3/4 handstand for any length of time and encourage all of my level 4's to hit a vertical handstand. There are deductions for form, failure to lever in and out, hand placement and such, but definitely no deduction for a beautiful vertical handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back