WAG Level 5, 6 7 bar dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
So after looking at the level 5 bar routine and reading the requirements for level 6 and 7, what dismount would most L6s do?
L5 does a flyaway, L6 requires only a min of an A dismount so from my understanding would be you would not have to do the flyaway and then L7 says the dismount with a flip so back to the flyaway. Why would the flyaway be required in L5 but not L6? Seems somewhat inconsistent.

I think the coaches who use the new 6 as a stepping gateway to level 7 will be having their kids compete a flyaway.

In my opinion, a 31.00 AA isn't competent gymnastics...I really think the score out of compulsories should be around a 34 or 35. AT LEAST.

Having said that, any athlete who had scores out of compulsories and into the new level 6 "should" have competed a flyaway such that they could continue to compete it. But, you are right, under the new system a salto is mount isn't required.

I ranted earlier about a video where a kid "scored out" of the old level 6 and into the new optional 6. This kid couldn't cast above horizontal and her long hang pullover was horrendous. This child will get slaughtered in optionals. Even though she did compete a reasonable flyaway on bars, she cannot hit vertical from a cast. Optional rules are tricky of the coaches aren't reading the rules...even though the new 6 rules say that the cast requirement is to above horizontal, a cast above horizontal will still get a deduction because the rule for optional is deduction for less than vertical...

Basically, my point is that coaches don't need to hurry and score kids out of compulsories until the kid is really ready for optionals. If you can't do a flyaway, you might not be ready for optionals...

DD will be competing 6 (I think) and I am sure that they will be doing flyaways in her group. They are working on it every bar rotation. Despite the fact that she sat down on hers at the test out meet :)(), I think that DD's flaways have gotten much better since last month. Now that she's getting the timing, I feel like she will be ready to go by November. I don't understand though-what other dismount could they do? Something like what they did in the old level 5?

By the end of of the season, last year level 6s, almost all, were doing a layout flyaway. My new level 5 will be starting with a pike and many of her teammates have layouts. The giant is the skill separating our new level 6 s and 7 s, so our level 6 s will be competing with a layout flyaway this season. For our gym it isn't about competing with the minimum requirements, but the maximum. I would imagine the vast majority of new 6 s this year will be doing the same dismount, since it is the natural progression from the tuck flyaway.

And the old level 5 dismount (tap swing, half turn) isn't in the JO code, so wouldn't qualify as a dismount. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong :)

Most L 6s will be doing a flyaway, I am almost sure. However, unlike in compulsory in level 5, they can't do a series of tap swings into it. The flyaway will have to come from a cast or a circling skill.

There is one other a level dismount in the COP that looks like the old level 5 dismount but I am not sure if is the same one exactly. As far as I can tell you have two choices for the A dismount this swing and let go type and the flyaway. It just seems strange to require it in a compulsory level and then not for the first optional level. DD gym you have to have the flyaway for L6 and giants/flyaway for L7.

It does make sense.

level 5 - flyaway required but can do a number of tap swings into it
level 6 - now have to dismount straight from last skill no option of swings, so the dismount may be easier to train the connection.
level 7 - put it together and flyaway from the. Last skill.

It does make sense.

level 6 - now have to dismount straight from last skill no option of swings, so the dismount may be easier to train the connection.

That would make more sense. This is all very new to me, so still trying to figure all the different levels for skills.

It does make sense.

Now that does make sense. I didn't think about what comes before the dismount. Going directly from a skill to the flyaway is a totally new ballgame for many.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back