Level 7 - feel like a newbie again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well DD had her 2nd meet this past weekend and I feel like a L4 mom all over again. L7 is different the biggest change is the judging!! BOY they are really tough!! DD ended up 2nd on vault and she was really happy. Her floor they didn't count her back layout and reduced her start value to 9.5 UGH!! She was wobbly on her beam and she still dosen't have her straddle up on the bars so they won't let her compete bars until she has it. Doesn't look good for going to sectionals as we only have this weekends meet and the weekend after that for her to qualify. With only 3 event she won't qualify. We don't have any meets between Sectional 1 and sectional 2 so unless the gym adds another one after the 23rd she can relax and just try to get all 4 events together for the Pink Invitational in PA (she is psyched to be traveling to PA)

As soon as I figure out how to once again get the video of the meet out of the camera and on to the computer I'll post it on You Tube for you guys. I spend 3 hours on Sunday and still can't figure it out. I have to write down what I do so I don't take so long after a meet to do that.

Yes, scoring for L7 is tough tough tough this year.

Yeah, transferring clips to computer is time consuming even if you know what you're doing. The new digital/disk camcorders really make things easier. Can't wait for the vid.

Well I am glad that she has placed as that takes the sting out of a steep learning curve. Hopefully she'll continue that at the other meets. Not every child will make it to States and moving up to L7 is a huge skill step. COngrats to her for her hard work and perseverance.

It seems that all optional levels judging has tightened up this year, at least it seems it is across the board - all gyms are feeling the affect! Good luck to your dd and I hope she can go to the Pink Invite ready on all events, regardless she will have a great time! ;)

Ok the clip is on YouTube. Only took me 4 days to figure it out LOL. Once I did though it was easy and now I have it written down so it will be easier next time (I hope). Now to get the taking of the video down without the shaking LOL - suppose it will be easier if I don't have some jerk kicking me in the back every 2 min like I did this past weekend.

Her floor they didn't count her back layout and reduced her start value to 9.5 UGH!! .

Does that mean that they didn't count it at all, or that they counted it as a whip-back? Not fair to not count it at all! Unless she stopped and didn't do the lay out at all (I'm assuming that she did it, that the judges just docked it).

Sending you all lots of fairies for that straddle-up, I'm sure she'll have it soon! Good luck at the next meet, and Congrats on the Silver on Vault!

Does that mean that they didn't count it at all, or that they counted it as a whip-back? Not fair to not count it at all! Unless she stopped and didn't do the lay out at all (I'm assuming that she did it, that the judges just docked it).

Sending you all lots of fairies for that straddle-up, I'm sure she'll have it soon! Good luck at the next meet, and Congrats on the Silver on Vault!

Her coach said the judges said her form was off and they didn't count it at all so they reduced her start value as though it wasn't part of the routine.

Like Granny Said Optional land is tough this year..She has a beautiful vault!

1st meets are always the scariest, my DD's 1st optional meet was terrible.. seh started on the wrong side of the beam then asked the judges if she could start over! they of course didnt respond so she got down and started again!

Her coach said the judges said her form was off and they didn't count it at all so they reduced her start value as though it wasn't part of the routine.
That is not unusual at this level. Mine had hers docked at least once last year because they had too much of a pike in them. Starting score was 9.5.

BTW, best of luck getting ready for bars for the next meet (or soon).

Form wasn't fantastic, but I've seen them count much worse. I can see her doing really well once she gets over the nerves of being an Optional now. She's got such nice lines! I hope she gets her bars skills, so she has a shot at Sectionals. I know two of our level 7s aren't competing bars right now either (they're missing giants or something).

We are in the same boat as you!! 1st year l7. Just had our 1st meet. Did not compete bars (missing the giant). DD's 2nd meet is this weekend. Still no giant. Hoping they let her throw it and get a least some score to count towards sectionals. Enjoyed your dd's video. Very nice.

Great vault! She'll get it all down in no time, including bars.
This thread is scaring me a bit; dd has her first L7 meet next weekend!

Congrats on the beautiful vault! I'm sure the bars skill will be here soon Hoping she has a chance to go to Sectionals!

Great vault! She'll get it all down in no time, including bars.
This thread is scaring me a bit; dd has her first L7 meet next weekend!

Don't worry too much! My girls did much better in level 7 than either did as compulsories :)

This thread is scaring me a bit; dd has her first L7 meet next weekend

You and me both. I am begining to dread this weekend. LOL! I really wish this 1st meet wasn't such a big one for her either. Ack!

This thread is scaring me a bit; dd has her first L7 meet next weekend

You and me both. I am begining to dread this weekend. LOL! I really wish this 1st meet wasn't such a big one for her either. Ack!

I think I get more nervous than she does LOL.
8am at Tuft's University on Sunday - No Bars yet but she keeps saying next weekend the 23rd (her last chance to qualify) she will definitly have it. I'm not holding my breath. I think she'll end up in L7 next year too but coach says her goal is to have them all ready for L8 by next year. I think I'd rather a confident 7 than a weak 8 We'll see when Aug comes where she is at.

I am hoping she is less nervous too this weekend.

Love her leo! I think she did great. Level 7 is tough and optionals is so different from compulsories. Our optional girls have their first meet this weekend and we have some new level 7s. Hoping they have a great meet.

Sending her the bar fairy so she can qualify to sectionals!!

Well we are back from the meet and OUCH! is all I can say. My DD just doesn't do well at the 8am meets. Her beam was a mess - very slow and loose, she ended up not doing floor or bars and her vault was only OK at best. It was a LOOONG day to participate like that. The floor she was supposed to compete and I guess when she got to the meet it was decided she wouldn't compete it Not sure if its the coach saying this or she asked not to compete it (she does have a sore muscle in her right shoulder but it shouldn't keep her from doing floor). Just so frustraiting as a parent.

I think she has decided that she is going to do L7 over next year and isn't really giving it the effort she could give it. We'll see next weekend where she is at.

L7 is awesome, I had my first meet this weekend, friday!!! I got second on vault with a 9.2 (my best event). I'm bad at bars too, i got my kip cast handstand in the past week so I was really nervous, but I'm good at everything else so i was good. I always make my giants but for some reason i didn't at the meet (only in the routine i competed in my warm-ups I made them).

I had to change my beam routine (backwalkover backhandspring to handstand backhandspring) cause i can't bend my back anymore because I have a sideways back, hips, and legs and it hurts real bad. Cause of this when i did my handstand i didn't hold it long enough so it didn't cout as a skill, though i thought i did.

My results:
vault: 9.2, 2nd
bars: 6.775, total fluke, ?
beam: 7.8, 8th
floor: 8.75, ?
all-around: 32.525, 9th

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back