Lever press handstand - why compulsory for GB level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
As a spin off to an ongoing thread about these, I noticed that a US parent posted that her daughter is level 9 and can't do them. I thought they only went up to level 10 and that's when a college scholarship was a real possibility so I'm assuming their level 9/10 is more advanced than our level 3. So why on earth does BG require it for compulsory level 3?

DD is working her *** off to get it and I'm pretty sure she will soon.

Because compulsory 3 in the UK is designed for potential elite kids, and you won't find many elites without a press handstand.

The US level 1-10 system is a one size fits all for everyone, so a level 10 may have got there from years in the sport and determination, rather than the sort of talent or body shape that makes and elite.

Elites and future elites also tend to do way more hours with way more conditioning. If you look at the US TOPS system there won't be any kids there without a press handstand.

well done to your daughter doing 3, Kudos.

I must say thought I just think its such a great skill, and I love seeing it done. Wish I had learned it as a small person

well done to your daughter doing 3, Kudos.

Oh, I wish. I have no idea yet what grade/level she'll do in spring. It certainly won't be level 3 though.

Rather, I hope that by picking up some of the tougher skills like this one she may have a shot of making it into our elite training group and then taking the elite grades "out of age" since the new scheme allows you to do so and there are signs that her gym intends to embrace that option.

It just struck me as odd that you can get so far in the US without it.

It just struck me as odd that you can get so far in the US without it.

You can get pretty far in the UK without it. I don't think it's required for grades (?), and it's not for most regional/invitational comps. It's only compulsories it's required for, and if you're doing compulsories you have aims at elite and national squad, so you'd likely have it anyway.

from what I have seen its strength to weight and flexibility that allow you to get it easiest. P&F had it down after about 6 months of gym but she was freakishly light and strong and bendy.

P&F had it down after about 6 months of gym but she was freakishly light and strong and bendy.

Oh I like the sound of that...DD has only been training properly for 3 months (today incidentally). She is only on the 23rd centile so very small and light but strong regardless. She almost did it yesterday so I'm sure she will get it with some more work.

The straddle lever to handstand is needed for level 5, 4 and 3 range, also for the beam mount for compulsory level 3. So its definately an important skill for uk elite track girls to have.

Straddle press is not required for compulsory 4 or 3 range and conditioning it is now a drag to pike press. It is needed for the beam mount like you said. it is such a lovely move when done properly.

For the level 4 and 3 range your in a front support position (like a press up position) then you drag your feet along the floor up towards your hands and then lift them up to handstand keeping your legs straight and together.

The new range and conditioning looks so much harder (as was the intention). I always wondered why the national grades had pike up to handstand and the compulsories had straddle press, as the pike up looked much tougher to an observer. According to dd I was right - she thinks it's torture and looks on the days of straddle press with misty eyed affection, lol!

Its really hard for girls with proportionally longer legs, at least in straddle they can widen it to get their legs through. P&F finds it much harder.

I think you're right Margo. dd's legs are quite long, but the main problem is that they are also heavy! She has quite a slender torso, but beefy and powerful legs. In straddle press they are like a set of scales or counter balances either side until she's ready to swing them up. In pike press she has to counter the weight of them from the outset. The girls who have the best looking pike presses seem to be either very compact overall, or long limbed but with very slender legs. It's been a struggle!

Dd's had this for a while. Pretty much the same time she got her straddle press. She's your midget powerhouse though.

Its really hard for girls with proportionally longer legs, at least in straddle they can widen it to get their legs through. P&F finds it much harder.

Longer legs help in that you can get your arms and body straight and your bottom right over the top before you even start lifting. The long levers are harder once they leave the floor of course. And it is from a drag up so you have some movement to help you lift off. It is all about conditioning really. I don't think any of the compulsory girls will find it that hard to get, we have never had any national grades girls really struggle with it and they only train about 12 hours.

of course I'd forgotten about the drag - P&F tries to do it from pike lever and its getting her toes through is a problem

But the drag is moving the legs in the opposite direction - towards the body, then they need to rotate out away from the body. And our coaches have been teaching a pause after the drag too. I think this is why the could have done with the clinic a bit earlier.
Bringing the handstand to a dead stop after the pike up is harder than being able to carry the momentum through into a half turn, as you do for national grades. There, if you feel you going to lose it you can start to move your hands for the turn and try and regain your balance.
dd was having a go at the level 2 range yesterday and found that a lot easier interestingly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back