Max vault height for girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey geoff, JO for girls can be 7 on AAI. 125 is fig or 5 on aai. 130 is 6 and 135 is 7. if you look at the rules and policies for women and read the preface and then under vault, you will see that it says you can set the equipment to the safety of your gymnast. i'm paraphrasing. same with bars. the only rule is that the apparatus is not set beyond the recommendations of the manufacturer. that would be like raising either bars above the 'teeth' that you see when you raise them all the way up. when this is done, the 't pin' will not insert itself in to one of those teeth or grooves. this could cause the piston to 'hop' up out of the shaft even if the cables were tight.

Wait, max FIG height is 125?

Why so low? That seems odd.

Also, am I correct in assuming that NCAA gymnasts can also go up to 135?

Wait, max FIG height is 125?

Why so low? That seems odd.

Also, am I correct in assuming that NCAA gymnasts can also go up to 135?

yes, max height for FIG girls is 125. i can't remember exactly, but it took 25 years for them to raise to 125 from 120.

yes, ncaa can go to 6 & 7 respectively.

wow.. i though tthere would be more than seven!!! right now i vault on 6!!

Wow, I never knew that. I knew about changing the bars for USAG but the vault, too? Seems a bit weird, as this really changes the equipment (okay, it does for bars as well, but it's mostly a matter of adapting technique). Is it common to vault on 130 / 135 cm in L10? I imagine once you seriously start doing Yurchenkos, you better stick with the same height, no? So you'd have to make a decision on whether or not a kid will potentially go elite quite soon?!

I wouldn't say 135's the most common, most I know do 125-130. I prefer 125 myself for the entry, the height to me is sufficient for flipping and gives me a better entry to do that. 130 is workable to me, I don't like it a lot. Don't like 135, but I do know some girls that vault there (NCAA age/level basically). I'm about average sized for an optional gymnast.

Last edited:
In FIG (International gymnastics)

The compulsory height is 125 cms (Vault setting 5). All gymnasts MUST Vault on this exact height.

For Men the compulsory height is 135 cms (vault setting 7). All gymnasts MUST Vault on this height.

For USAG there are no restrictions or requirements for height but a gymnast can set the vault to suit themselves. But the only reason the vault even goes up to 135 cm's if for Men, its not intended for women.

In Australia it is compulsory for all level 7-10 girls to vault at 125 cms (vault setting 5). For level 6 they can vault on 120-125 cms (setting 4 or 5) and in level 5 they can vault on 110-125 cms (setting 2-5). Level 4's can go from 105-125 (setting 1-5) but they have mats stacked on the other side of the vault table and go to flat back.

Funnily enought we do have vaults that go much much higher - they are used for Team gym and use a trampette not a springboard. They go scary high.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back