Moving up more than one level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was browsing around on Google, reading about what most olympic/elite gymnasts did to get up to where they were/are, and I noticed something very interesting. Quite a lot of successful elite gymnasts did more than one level in a year. I always thought that 1 level a year was good enough, but then that adds up to (counting pre-levels) around 10 years of gymnastics before even being elite. So I was wondering, what are the benefits of moving up, say, 2 levels in a year instead of one? I'm just interested in these type of things :D

-GCG

One school of thought is to advance gymnasts as quickly as possible through the compulsory levels in order to get them training optional-level skills as early (and as young) as possible. This is thought to get them doing the big skills before the "fear factor" sets in and it also lets them spend more time training the optional skills rather than perfecting the compulsory routines.

There are, of course, countering opinions that say that it is better to spend lots of time training basic, compulsory skills and I think you can find equal numbers of votes on either point of view.

My daughter is one that has skipped several compulsory levels. In the spring of 2008, she competed level 2, then skipped level 3, trained level 4 for a short period of time and moved right into level 5, which she competed in the spring of 2009. She then went straight into competing level 6 this fall and will have her first level 7 meet in February, basically working her way through five levels in two years. And, while she has not had stellar scores, she is a very young optional gymnast now with lots of years ahead of her in the sport to really work those big skills. We'll see how it goes.

I think you might be mistaken. I'm talking about rushing through the optional levels such as 7,8,9, and 10. I heard that quite a few gymnasts do one level in spring, then one in fall, etc.

levels :)

I am the coach of a gymnast who was a level 4 in 08 and has now just finished her 6 season and has been training her optional skills for the four months that she was a 6 and she like yourself it seems is very excited,motivated,talented, and so eager to move ahead as fast as she can on her path as a gymnast.
Our focus as a group ( gymnast, parents, and me the coach) has been more about setting her goals skill wise and as she meets them making new higher ones. I suggest to you what I tell her and that is to focus on setting your goals high and continuing your hardwork to achieve them rather than focusing on skipping levels because that will happen as your skills come. So now that I have been a bit long winded in my response to your question, yes it is possible to move more than one level a year.:)

Most elite gymnasts do not go through the usual route and spend a year at each level. It just waste's too much time. Many gyms don't even compete their elite route kids in USAG levels at all. They train them up and test them straight for elite as soon as they are ready.

One school of thought is to advance gymnasts as quickly as possible through the compulsory levels in order to get them training optional-level skills as early (and as young) as possible. This is thought to get them doing the big skills before the "fear factor" sets in and it also lets them spend more time training the optional skills rather than perfecting the compulsory routines.

There are, of course, countering opinions that say that it is better to spend lots of time training basic, compulsory skills and I think you can find equal numbers of votes on either point of view.

My daughter is one that has skipped several compulsory levels. In the spring of 2008, she competed level 2, then skipped level 3, trained level 4 for a short period of time and moved right into level 5, which she competed in the spring of 2009. She then went straight into competing level 6 this fall and will have her first level 7 meet in February, basically working her way through five levels in two years. And, while she has not had stellar scores, she is a very young optional gymnast now with lots of years ahead of her in the sport to really work those big skills. We'll see how it goes.

I was wondering about this. The general rule of thumb is to compete one level a year, but like the OP said that could take 7-10 years. You see all these little juniors (ages 12 and 13) who compete elite skills that are amazing. I guess they would have to be a Level 7 or 8 by the age of 8 or 9 to be elite at age 12. Allthough their skills are amazing, most of them lack the artistry, dance and overall maturity of the older senior gymnasts. But I do see the point of getting young kids to go after the big skills before the fear factor sets in. There is a very talented gymnast at our gym who is Dani's age (10) who was supposed to train level 8, but she quit the sport due to fear issues with the giants and bar skills. It is a shame cause she has worked so hard and to quit at age 10 was a shocker for all of us. She is somewhat still in the sport as she is working with our Acro team seeing if that is another option for her.

My daughter never did the earlier levels (1-4) and started as a 5 in the USAG program at age 6. By 8 yo she was Level 8 and did really well; she did 2 meets as a 6 and 1 meet as a 7 to get there. She reached Level 10 by the age of 10 and made Nationals. I guess the benefits were that she never had any fears with any thing she did. My point of view on it is that I didn't want her held beck at a level "because she was young" but if she had the skills, she should move up. This worked out for her but it is certainly not the norm for everyone.

One reason for the progression was that she was in the TOPS program and in order to do well in that program, you had to be in the upper optional level by the time you are doing National testing because of the skills required. The flip side is that if she hadn't had the skills, progression at the rate she went at would not have been an issue.

I think you might be mistaken. I'm talking about rushing through the optional levels such as 7,8,9, and 10. I heard that quite a few gymnasts do one level in spring, then one in fall, etc.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant optionals. I don't know that too many gymnasts do skip the optionals levels, unless they go like the above post said and don't compete USAG JO really at all.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant optionals. I don't know that too many gymnasts do skip the optionals levels, unless they go like the above post said and don't compete USAG JO really at all.

It pretty much depends on the gymnast's particular strength. There are cases where gymnasts go from L9 to Elite. Which works especially well under the new code, when you are a very solid L9 with good basics, so that you can lern a variety of C or D Level skills rather than getting a few standout skills only. Obviously, either way, you must be brilliant to go Elite - but with the new code, it's possible. You will see gymnasts, especially juniors, with not a lot more difficulty than you average L10 (except maybe the sheer number) - but with smart routine construction and clean execution it can work. Especially if the coaches want to get her "out there"

I was looking at stuff like that because one day I would like to be an elite gymnast, and if I move up one level a year, I will be 16-17 when I am elite which is pretty old... Also, even though I am 13, I really don't think that the fear factor has set in yet. At all. I don't know if my gym allows people to move up two level in a year (one in fall, one in spring), but I have been so far. I did level 4 in 2008 spring, level 5 in 2008 fall, level 6 in 2009 fall, and level 7 is this upcoming winter/spring. So if I can move up two levels a year, I can really save myself some time. And also, then I will be able to the awesome skills like double backs off of bars sooner :D (I am so bummed you can't do that in level 8 any more...)

-GCG

Not to discourage you but the Elite track is a huge undertaking by the very few very talented gymnasts...and it usually starts at a much younger age than you are currently. At 13 yo and starting Level 7, you will more than likely make it to Level 9. The requirements are getting tougher for the higher levels and especially elite.

I would concentrate my efforts on maxing out my skills in the JO circuit as a more realistic approach.

I was looking at stuff like that because one day I would like to be an elite gymnast, and if I move up one level a year, I will be 16-17 when I am elite which is pretty old... Also, even though I am 13, I really don't think that the fear factor has set in yet. At all. I don't know if my gym allows people to move up two level in a year (one in fall, one in spring), but I have been so far. I did level 4 in 2008 spring, level 5 in 2008 fall, level 6 in 2009 fall, and level 7 is this upcoming winter/spring. So if I can move up two levels a year, I can really save myself some time. And also, then I will be able to the awesome skills like double backs off of bars sooner :D (I am so bummed you can't do that in level 8 any more...)

-GCG

I have to agree with bookworm. It is fantastic to have such strong goals but don't let them be your only goals. Focus on more short term goals as well. If you are level 7 now, make your main goal to be a level 8 and work on the level 8 skills. Focussing on the small steps will bring you closer to the big steps. But focussing on the big steps only can cause disappointment.

Yes, 16-17 is pretty old to be starting elite but it can be done. It depends what your priorities are. Remember that by 16-17 you will be a junior/senior in high school and considering college. If you are training elite at the time you will need to be in the gym 5-7 hours a day, 6 days a week which will generally mean either you need to be home schooled or you need to attend a special school for elite athletes. Also if you want to go elite at that age don't plan to go to college when you are 18. Training as an elite gymnast is a full time job and if you want to compete with success you'll need to do it for a few years so you'll need to put off attending college for a while.

You might like to set your sights on a college scholarship instead for gymnastics which is a more attainable goal. In order to achieve this you will need to be level 10 by your sophomore year. Or at least a fantastic level 9.

You talk of the fear factor not setting in, well it doesn't really have to set in at all. In a lot of people it never does. I am in my 30's and my fear factor still hasn't set in. I will still perform any move without a hesitation. So maybe for you it never will.

The other thing is that it sounds like your gym does not produce many successful elites. If it is very rare, if not almost unheard of for a gymnast to do more than one level a year then the odds are they are not a highly successful elite gym. Which means the odds of you making it to elite there are very low and even if you do the odds of you being very successful will be limited. If you really want to achieve this goal you would need to find a gym that has a successful track record for producing successful elite gymnasts. There are only a handful in the USA so many people need to move interstate or live away from their families in order to train for a goal like this.

Not to discourage you but the Elite track is a huge undertaking by the very few very talented gymnasts...and it usually starts at a much younger age than you are currently. At 13 yo and starting Level 7, you will more than likely make it to Level 9. The requirements are getting tougher for the higher levels and especially elite.

I would concentrate my efforts on maxing out my skills in the JO circuit as a more realistic approach.

Don't worry. It doesn't discourage me. I've wanted to be elite ever since I was 3 years old, and now I'm an optional, I'm not going to give up.

Aussie Coach, you are right in some ways about my gym. We do not have any elite gymnasts, but we do have currently 2 level 10's, 2-3 level 9's, and a pack of 8's, 7's, 6's, so on. Almost every one in our gym has won top three on any event at states, so I think of my gym as pretty successful. I know 13 years old is pretty old, but I do have a good amount of level 8 skills as well, and almost my full level 8 bar routine.

GymCatGirl its possible your gym doesn't even offer elite. many gyms with good level 9's and 10's don't. They focus on college scholarships instead. To run an elite program at a gym costs the gym a lot of money, you don't make money from an elite program ever. If you get a few girls on the national teams it can be great advertising for the gym.

Elite kids have to go so many hours, have almost one on one coaching attention, and must have top facilities. If your gym only has 4-5 level 9's and 10's its probable that they couldn't afford to run an elite program. You should find this out.

I have no idea about if they have an elite program or not, but I do know that Shawn Johnson was the only elite in her whole gym! Also, I still am thinking about maybe attending a gymnastics boarding school. I have good grades, so by the time I am 15 or so I'll be a level 9-10, making it possible.

I have no idea about if they have an elite program or not, but I do know that Shawn Johnson was the only elite in her whole gym! Also, I still am thinking about maybe attending a gymnastics boarding school. I have good grades, so by the time I am 15 or so I'll be a level 9-10, making it possible.

This isn't very realistic because we don't really have gymnastics boarding schools in the US, at least not ones associated with our national program (there may be random boarding schools offering gymnastics as a recreation, I don't know). Shawn was trained specifically as elite early on by those coaches, it is a small program, but highly selective.

I would just focus on getting to L10 and then you'll see from there what's realistic. Skill acquisition drops off in the higher levels because the skills get harder. Up through about L8 I was able to learn just about every skill necessary pretty easily. Needed refinement but could learn them within a few days or weeks. But those were basic optional skills.

Also, most elites end up dropping back to L10 or doing NCAA if they continue gymnastics through high school. So ultimately NCAA is the end of the line for many girls at the upper end of the JO track or who do elite. Essentially this means if anything at this point I would recommend looking into NCAA programs and learning more about the options and focusing some of your energy and gymnastics goals on that.

The issue isn't if you would be the only elite. yes, some gyms have only 1 elite. It is if your coaches are even willing to do elite. Many gyms absolutely refuse to do elite. Many coaches won't coach it, no matter how badly you want it. If you are serious about going elite, it is already late you need to look at what gym would be best now. If you wait until you are level 9/10 it will be too late.

Honestly, most of this is a bit too confusing for me. I'm only level 7 right now, so obviously I'm not trying out to be elite now. I know that I am a bit old, and most people are elite by my age, but I don't care. I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but it really sounds like you're trying to tell me it is impossible. And no offense at all, but you don't know how many days I go, or how much I want to be elite, or what skills I can do, scores I get, etc. And also, there is no age block on the elite programs in the USAG programs.

-GCG

Im not quite sure this argument is productive any longer. it has kind of switched out of the original intention of this thread. Baisically i think that GCG has a chance, and she knows what she has to do, maybe it will work, maybe it wont, nobody knows for sure, but i think arguing is going to get nowhere.

Honestly, most of this is a bit too confusing for me. I'm only level 7 right now, so obviously I'm not trying out to be elite now. I know that I am a bit old, and most people are elite by my age, but I don't care. I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but it really sounds like you're trying to tell me it is impossible. And no offense at all, but you don't know how many days I go, or how much I want to be elite, or what skills I can do, scores I get, etc. And also, there is no age block on the elite programs in the USAG programs.

-GCG

I'm really sorry about that. I had no school, no gym, my brother was annoying me, and me knee hurts really bad to top it off. But like it has already been mentioned, this is getting off topic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back