WAG Point Values

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone tell me the point value of a flyaway at level 7? Is there a published book somewhere I could look to find the point values for various skills, or is it only available to judges?

I get that "a skills" are easier than "b skills" and such; but is an "a skill" at level 8 always an " a skill", even at level 6? Or for Xcel silver? Is there a list of what is an A, B, C skill? And how do you know what "has flight"??? It is all so confusing!!! LOL

I cannot imagine why a parent would want to own one, but here it is...

248.jpg

Women's JO Code of Points
Item Number: 3117
Price: $60.00

The official “rule book” for 2013–2017 for the Junior Olympic Optional Levels 6 through 10. Includes a listing of all skills, complete with their value plus illustrations of each skill. A ”must have” for all Junior Olympic Optional coaches and judges.
NEW! 2nd Edition available to order now. Includes all changes/updates through Sept. 2015.

I get that "a skills" are easier than "b skills" and such; but is an "a skill" at level 8 always an " a skill", even at level 6? Or for Xcel silver? Is there a list of what is an A, B, C skill? And how do you know what "has flight"??? It is all so confusing!!! LOL
Acro skills with flight are skills in which there is at least a split second where neither hands or feet are touching.
Examples - back handspring, front handspring, round off, dive cartwheel, aerials, and all no handed flips (front and back tucks, pikes, layouts, twists)

I cannot imagine why a parent would want to own one, but here it is...

248.jpg

Women's JO Code of Points
Item Number: 3117
Price: $60.00

The official “rule book” for 2013–2017 for the Junior Olympic Optional Levels 6 through 10. Includes a listing of all skills, complete with their value plus illustrations of each skill. A ”must have” for all Junior Olympic Optional coaches and judges.
NEW! 2nd Edition available to order now. Includes all changes/updates through Sept. 2015.
If I had this in my possession I would never, ever watch a meet or practice again.

Eta: there are some things I would rather not know. I would rather be thrilled my dd hit all her tricks, not bummed because she missed 180 degrees by 20 degrees....

An A skill and a B skill will always be the same at every level (6-10). To increase difficulty they just add on new letters of the alphabet (and skills more likely to cause fear and prayers by parents) as they move up the levels.

An A skill and a B skill will always be the same at every level (6-10). To increase difficulty they just add on new letters of the alphabet (and skills more likely to cause fear and prayers by parents) as they move up the levels.
That is how I rate skills by how much they scare the cr@p out of me as I watch. Also how tightly I shut my eyes.

So on floor, is a cartwheel an "a skill", or is it not even really a skill? Because a cartwheel isn't at all worrisome on the floor (barely on the beam); but a flyaway on bars seems much more worrisome.... Is a BHS an A skill? So the same as maybe a roundoff? Obviously by the time kids are doing optionals (except Xcel) both should be easy; but a round off seems much easier than a BHS (says the mom who used to be able to do a RO; but never a BHS - I was NOT a gymnast).

On floor, a cartwheel, walkover, round off, and back handspring are all 'A' skills. On beam, a cartwheel and BWO are 'A' skills and a BHS and RO are 'B' skills. That is for the basic skills. Change it up a bit : one-handed, add a twist, etc. and the difficulty increases and so does the letter. Flyaway are A but add a twist (B) or another tuck (C) and you increase the letter and fear factor for the parent.

WIth only a couple of exceptions, the skills in compulsory levels are all going to be A skills, so yes there is quite a range of A skills. (except for the optional BHS on beam and the Clearhip circle on bars which are B skills). As you go through the optional levels, more B skills are required (and C skills at L9 and 10). At L8 C skills are allowed, at L9 one D skill is allowed and L10 has no restrictions. A skills are only worth .1 in composition of the routine. (.3 for B skills). Each optional routine also has 4 special requirements each worth .5. Some higher level skills are just much much scarier and others aren't necessarily scarier, but are just much harder to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back