WAG Up,down, sideways on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natalia

Proud Parent
That thin piece of wood seems to be gathering a lot of attention around here.If it were up to me I'd chop it up and throw in the chimney :).

I have a few questions about DDs choices for her acro skill ,the post by @profmom inspired me to get some opinions from all of you friendly folks.

DD is currently working on putting together her next beam routine.

She is currently competing BHS-BHS , then a stand alone back tuck and her dismount is round off full.In between there's some leaps and turns,I'm not too sure what you call them in English.

She will be transforming her BHS-BHS into a BHS-Back tuck.She will add an aerial.
She finds it easier to connect a back tuck to her back hand spring rather then a( how do you call) a back hand spring with no hands?Lol
She prefers to do an aerial rather then a front aerial,shes says her aerial is her safe bet,and this allows her to start working on a side sommy.If she does a front aerial she needs to clean it up and that takes time away from working on her side sommy.

We use the FIG code(I think)or something very close to it.Her coach said she can choose an aerial,side aerial side sommy(sp?) or front tuck.Her coach is perfecllty happy with her choice.

MY question as an ignoramus mother that I am is:
Nearly every girl I see chooses a front aerial rather then an aerial,is this because a front aerial allows you to connect more skills afterwards?
Most girls go for BHS-BHS with no hands(what do you call those in english,it's a flic décalé aound here).Does this lead to easier connections later down the road rather then BHS-Back tuck?

DD calls them whips, possibly a Back layout is the word you are looking for. Maybe the other girls are happier going forwards rather than sideways ? I don't know, those skills are above our pay grade atm on beam.

As mentioned above, I believe the skill you are referring to is a layout. It can be done as a layout feet together, or a layout step out. I have the girls do a feet together when they are going to connect it directly to another trick, and usually a step out if it is the last trick, as I think it looks better. As for the choice of skills, that is best left to the coach, your daughter, and the code of points. :)
I like the term 'Mother in training,' as opposed to 'ignoramus mother.' ;)

You're more or less correct about the front aerial and why it is pretty common (I would say side aerials are much more common outside the intl elite circuit).

But if structurally the gymnast is not built for this skill (flexibility or body type) it's a losing battle. What you said about your daughter and the back tuck makes me think this could be at play.

Picture worth a thousand words::)

0:21 Back hand spring-back step out layout ?

0:30 front aerial?

0:36 side sommy/or side aerial?

1:02 aerial/no hand cartwheel?

Sorry everyone,I can normaly post vids starting at a specific moment,huge fail on my part this time :confused:

I thought I'd got right in the post to @dunno ,but it was no better

@Gymsanity ,"Mother in training"ROFL. That should be the title of a book.

@gymdog ,DD can do the front aerial but it looks "clumsy",and she's still on the soft floor beam,the no hand cartwheel aerial she can do on the high beam quite consistently.She has done tons of back tucks on beam,but is just working back handspring-back layout stepout on a floor line.

DD is 9 years old,she'll naturaly choose the skills that are the easiest to her.If she does continue with this sport I hope that she understands what certain decisions might mean down the line.

@Gymsanity ,I have absolute faith in her coach,but not so much in the french system that takes gymnasts away from their coaches just as they enter the higher levels.This might encourage a coach to let a kid do the move that gets the same start value but has less use further down the line ,then a skill that might require more work,but lay better goundwork for the future. In the U.S you have to deal with the code.In France the poor local coaches have to deal with the code and a horrid hypercentrelized outdated system.

'I have absolute faith in her coach,but not so much in the french system that takes gymnasts away from their coaches just as they enter the higher levels.This might encourage a coach to let a kid do the move that gets the same start value but has less use further down the line ,then a skill that might require more work,but lay better goundwork for the future. In the U.S you have to deal with the code.In France the poor local coaches have to deal with the code and a horrid hypercentrelized outdated system.'
Thank you Natalia for explaining that, I wasn't aware of anything like that. I have next to no knowledge as to how gymnastics is done in other countries. Heck, I have trouble keeping up with USAG sometimes! ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back