Parents Uptraining and Kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

KimmeeA13

So my DD (Xcel Bronze, 1st year on team) along with her practice group has been working on uptraining. The assumption is that those who are deemed capable of learning the skills for it will be moved to "new" level 3. Of course, you know what they say about the word "assume". Anyway, the main things I've seen them working on recently are cartwheel on beam, BHS and vaulting on the actual vault table. Then today I noticed they are working on the glide kip on bars. For some reason I thought this was a higher level skill. I have to admit it gave me a little thrill to see my girl gliding and pulling back up to the bar, with her coach's help of course. Just had to say that. :)

I did read for the news level 3 bar routine, they can do a pull over or glide kip. It is not unusual to uptrain, one, two or even more levels. Our level 4s and 5s often work on optional skills

Thats exactly what my current L3 girl has been working on. Lots of front tumbling, cw on beam, fhs on vault, and glide kips.

Currently, a kip is a Level 5 skill... so in the fall, it will be a level 4 skill. As someone else said, it will also be an option for the level 3 bar routine ... but unless it is PERFECT, I know my coach won't have the Level 3s doing it in competition. The glide, return, pullover is often MUCH cleaner ... so less deductions (and there is no bonus for doing the kip).

In practice, we are also uptraining. We have a "kip club" for those girls w/o kips. They attempt 25 kips a day plus are working squat ons between turns.

We have one girl that competed level 5 that may score out of current 6 at a mock meet (if she can) and enter NEW 6 in the fall. She has all the current L6 skills EXCEPT her clear hip... but if she has high enough scores on the other events, she might just squeak by :) She is currently working clear hips and uprises on bars - our coach only has L8+ do giants since there is no benefit at L7 and we don't have a strap bar or a pit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back