Off Topic USA 2012 Elections Thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cnn kept time for both candidates and obama talked 5 minutes more than Romney. If people are going to take the time to create this stuff, at least get it right. QUOTE]

Absolutely, how dare they stretch the truth or exagerate to prove their own, biased point. We should hold our political comedy writers to a much higher standard than we do our candidates for president;)

True - but everyone expects politicians to lie. When people see these types of charts, they assume them to be true. Such the sad position of our out-of-touch society

Personally I just fail to see how either Romney or Obama is anything short of a dismal choice. I wish more of the American public would truly educate themselves on the issues and their options. I wish more American's would put faith in 3rd party candidates, because WE​ are allowing this 2-party farce to continue. If everyone who doesn't like either of the main candidates actually voted for someone they DO like, we WOULD stand a chance of changing things. I will be voting for Gary Johnson. He has proven he is capable, as governor of New Mexico for 8 years where he left them with a $1 billion surplus. He has, on paper, a plan for the 2013 budget that BALANCES the budget. Obama and Romney are both competing over who will spend more money... what money?? We have a deficit. We don't have the money coming in to pay out more. I also like Gary's fair tax plan, which does away with income tax. That completely removes the debate over whether or not wealthy people owe it to anyone to hand over more of their money. Gary would like to see a consumption tax, and this makes sense to me.

I should also add, before anyone even tries to tell me a vote for Gary is actually a vote for (insert other candidate here) that this is 1- untrue (Gary takes votes from BOTH Romney AND Obama.) and 2- I wouldn't not be voting otherwise, so it doesn't "take away" a vote from anyone.

~Katy

Personally I just fail to see how either Romney or Obama is anything short of a dismal choice. I wish more of the American public would truly educate themselves on the issues and their options. I wish more American's would put faith in 3rd party candidates, because WE​ are allowing this 2-party farce to continue. If everyone who doesn't like either of the main candidates actually voted for someone they DO like, we WOULD stand a chance of changing things. I will be voti Reply With Quoteng for Gary Johnson. He has proven he is capable, as governor of New Mexico for 8 years where he left them with a $1 billion surplus. He has, on paper, a plan for the 2013 budget that BALANCES the budget. Obama and Romney are both competing over who will spend more money... what money?? We have a deficit. We don't have the money coming in to pay out more. I also like Gary's fair tax plan, which does away with income tax. That completely removes the debate over whether or not wealthy people owe it to anyone to hand over more of their money. Gary would like to see a consumption tax, and this makes sense to me.

I should also add, before anyone even tries to tell me a vote for Gary is actually a vote for (insert other candidate here) that this is 1- untrue (Gary takes votes from BOTH Romney AND Obama.) and 2- I wouldn't not be voting otherwise, so it doesn't "take away" a vote from anyone.

~Katy

I think everyone needs to vote their conscience and if that means voting for a 3rd party or not voting at all, then then they should vote 3rd party. I primarily lean Libertarian on social, economic, and foreign policy issues. I understand where you are coming from. In most elections, I have voted Libertarian, but I truly feel that this is a pivotal election in terms of what path our country will travel in the years to come. This year, my state is a battleground state so my vote really does count and I can't take the chance that my vote is the difference between what I view as the wrong vs. right path.

Having a fairly represented 3 party system at the presidential level is nearly impossible. It has been since the early 1800's. In theory, it looks like it might work seeing that there really is a pretty evenly split 3 ways among republican, democrat, and independents. However, this essentially means that the person winning will likely get a little more than 1/3 of the vote - 2/3 of the nation will have voted against this person's/party's platform. Doesn't really create a strong foundation for the next four years. The other issue is that most people are moderates (even though they tend to lean conservative/liberal) and they can "handle" an opposing party president as long as he/she is not too far from center. The 3rd party candidates (green party, tea party, libertarian) are too far from center at this point to capture the "moderate" votes. I do think that in the next 50 years, we will see more 3rd party representatives, senators, and governors. As this happens, one of two things will happen - one of these parties will begin to override the dems/repub and become the dominant 2nd party, or the dems/repub will change their platforms to entwine the 3rd party with their own party. Historically, it has been the second path that has happened more often. It is beginning to happen with the tea-party right now, though I doubt it will fully integrate.

here's part of my politics. the whole world needs to be concerned about who gets elected here and in other countries. i HATE what you are about to read. catastrophes to children bother me the most. and politically were now all interconnected. and my wish is that the perpetrators cast in this article all burn in eternal hell. hopefully everyone can see the problems we ALL face when we have weak and/or corrupt leaders.

Peace-prize winning Pakistani girl on Taliban hit list fights for life after shooting - World News

^^ I agree dunno. How these kids have to grow up is detestable. It's just not shown on our media. It's out there, but you have to look for it. Palestine is the same way. No mother or father should have to be scared every time there kid walks out side they might not come back. Fast Times In Palestine is a good book about the West Bank and Israel conflict.

If only the government would mint a new coin...we could make tons of them...the politicians could have the first batch...we could call them "common sense".

here's part of my politics. the whole world needs to be concerned about who gets elected here and in other countries. i HATE what you are about to read. catastrophes to children bother me the most. and politically were now all interconnected. and my wish is that the perpetrators cast in this article all burn in eternal hell. hopefully everyone can see the problems we ALL face when we have weak and/or corrupt leaders.

Peace-prize winning Pakistani girl on Taliban hit list fights for life after shooting - World News

Google malala day

Malala's story has been very prominently on the news here, her family, recovery, and also what is happening to other girls who take the same stand for education- red crosses on the doors of their family home, death threats etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back