Parents Back from Mexico, first level 5 meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
OK, going to start off by saying, I want to go back to the beach, not thrilled that I had to clear a foot of snow off the van once we got to the airport.

This ended up being Bug's first level 5 meet, inititally the girls were to do level 4, but once we found out that there was level 4, 5, 6, and prep op in the same rotation, our coaches decided to see if the girls could move up to level 5, all but one did. It was only the Wednesday before we left that it was decided that Bug too was going to move up, after the bars were moved closer for her.

First up bars. Bug was excited to start here and get it over with. She was out of the gym for almost a week before the competition. In the warm-up, I truely did not think that she was going to jump. I think all of her warmup time was spent hesitating before jumping to the bar. Her coaches also had the same thoughts. She did finally do it, yeah. Her actually routine, was not the prettiest, slow connections, but no hesitation before jumping to the high bar. She just threw herself at it, but made her long hang kip.
8.000 good for 7th place.

Next Beam Lots of wobbles, not sure that her HS was all away up, hung on to her cartwheel. Did not hold the dismount. 8.650 for 5th place.

On to floor. The girls really only knew the pattern of the floor routine for a week. Lots of wiggles and wobbles, needs to increase the height of the dive roll. 8.600 good for 7th place

Finally vault. I have one of two peanuts of the team, the only girl that stayed a level 4 was because she cannot get over the vault horse. She is DD best friend and just a hair shorter than my DD. This was also the first time that I saw Bug get over the vault table herself. I think cuteness points were given her. Very archy off the horse 8.900 good for 4th place.

All around 34.15 good for 4th place. Here is the link to the video:

YouTube - 2010 Cancun Classic Level 5 gymnastics

There was not that much competition here. Total of 16 girls in level 5, all ages. 6 from our gym, 3 from Kurt Thomas, 1 from Bart Connor and the remaining girls from gyms in Mexico. The girls from Mx were a little scary to watch, not sure that they really should have been level 5's, many without kips, and not safe looking vaults.

Also the team took 1st place. I am sure that it happened that way as one of the Kurt Thomas girls scratched vault. It was a great confidence boost for the girls. The one that did stay back in level 4 was all allround, vault and beam champ. She took 2nd on floor and bars.

We also took a level 7 who was just a 6 at states a month ago, she was 2nd on vault and beam, 4th on floor and bars, but consistent enough for 1st place all around.

Last edited:
If I didn't know better I'd say you were lying!!! What an amazing job for someone who has been a L5 for a week. Really great work AA, her skills looked great and she looked very confident!

Wish I'd been with you on the beach, every winter just seems to get longer!

Wow! Awesome job Bug! What an amazing accomplishment for a brand new level 5! Seriosuly jealous of all these warm weather meets! Lucky us get to head up to Peoria this weekend! Congrats on a wonderful meet!

Here are the medals that Bug received. They are actually carved of wood. I found the hanger in the hotel gift shop.

001.jpg

Wow Bug did awesome,defintly proved she was ready for L5! Love the medals they are really neat.Gl to Bug on her L5 season!

She has a mock meet tommorrow night, should be interesting as she again refused to jump to the high bar in practice last night with the bars set close together, then we are in the Dells at the end of the month, before going to Chicago in Feb.

She did a great job for her first level 5 meet. The place looked really neat,it must be fun to go away meets (our gym only takes the older girls and then it is in the US). Good luck to your new level5!

We think she did great. Commented on YouTube, but wanted to say it here as well. Very nice job on everything. Sending her the jump to high bar fairies. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back