Coaches, moms, dads, or gymnasts: Ganglion cyst

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Preface: I have made an appointment for 8 year old dd to see the doctor, but her appt isn't until tuesday of next week.

Ok. A couple of weeks ago, dd started to complain that her wrist hurts. A couple of days later she came to me and asked me to feel this "bump" on the "inside" of her wrist (which is very tiny, but cannot be felt on the other wrist). She says that this "bump" is where her wrist hurts. I took her to her coach who then felt her wrist and told her to get some ice on it for a few minutes when it's hurting and then join back into class. When I asked him what he thought it was, he said that his opinion as a coach is that this might be a ganglion cyst and that there really isn't anything that can be done besides draining it or surgery to remove it. :eek:

So I asked around to a couple of the other moms to see if anyone had ever heard of this ganglion cyst thing. One gymmie had a brother who had one, they opted to have it surgically removed. Not something I want to have to do unless TOTALLY necessary. Anyway, this mom wondered if wrist guards would benefit dd - which, that never really crossed my mind because she doesn't have weak wrists and isn't training yurchenkos or anything - just power tumbling and Level 5 and 6.

I'll definitely be asking the doctor, but if this is a ganglion cyst, will some type of wrist supports alleviate some of the pain she's having by taking some of the pressure off when she tumbles or vaults? Or does anyone have any experience with ganglion cysts? What have you done for them?

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/35059-ganglion-cyst-surgery.html

This is a recent longish thread on the issue.

My oldest dd just was diagnosed with one on the back of her wrist. She had wrist pain for years, we did tiger paws, pt and way too many wrong diagnosis. In the end it is a ganglion cyst and we are waiting to have an ultrasound on the 13th for further info. I have had many of them, some hurt, some do not.

Supports can help, cortisone shots can help. Surgery sometimes help, but there is no guarantee that the cyst won't come back.

I know my dd's really hurts. So get to the doc ASAP and have it assessed. You are not alone.

As Bog mentioned, this has been quite a hot topic here on CB!!! They are very common and can be quite painful. Long story short, my DD has been plaqued w/these for years. They come and go. About the time they get large enough to REALLY cause some pain, it will "pop" on it's own while she's doing tumbling, or whatever. Try to avoid surgery if at all possible. These things have a nasty tendency to come back.

I had a giant one about the size of a quarter on my wrist for about two years.I wasnt very painfull but still bothered me.I talked to my doctor and he said we could either pop it or have it surgially removed.(the surgry is quite simple,they numb you up make a small insion and cut the cyst (similar to chicken gristle) out and stitch you back up.Recovery is about a month from what my doctor said.Popping can be very painful and the cyst is more likley to reappear so thats why people opt to have surgery.Luckily one day on strap bar i guess i tightened it too tight and my cyst popped!I havent had any trouble now although i am having wrist problems currently but I guess im lucky.Good luck to you and your gymmie on whatever you choose to do!I am prone to cysts (ears and back mostly so I hope all goes well:) (forgot to add that i have heard cutting back on carbonated drinks may help,not entierly sure though)

Mine was on the inside of my wrist and made wrist flexion fairly uncomfortable.

I managed to pop it myself but have read that is not recommended, especially the way I did it. I doubt you would get a child to do it that way anyways willingly but I was young and dumb, 20ish and was getting pretty sick of it. It never came back and it happened when I was new to gymnastics.

Something to consider, it wont go away on its own. It can get worse when used frequently and better when the wrist is braced but for a gymnast I doubt it's going to get better without intervention. They are common and the surgery is very simple. Whatever you chose good luck.

I had a ganglion cyst on my foot. It HURT. :( Nothing that I did helped, just had to have it drained (ew) but once I had it done it was fine. Your DD will be just fine, she just needs to have it taken care of. I can't imagine there would be too much healing time with it, once they get rid of it the area goes back down and does not hurt anymore. At least that was how it was with me. Good luck at the doctor!

I have one on the back of my wrist that comes & goes.

They were going to send me to a hand surgeon the last time I had it, but 2 months of not really using it wasn't feasible & I popped it demonstrating a backhandspring a week and a half before that appointment. It was a constant source of discomfort, but popping it HURT for 2 days.

As I recall the plan was to drain it & cortisone it.

Something to consider, it wont go away on its own. It can get worse when used frequently and better when the wrist is braced but for a gymnast I doubt it's going to get better without intervention. They are common and the surgery is very simple. Whatever you chose good luck.

Surte they can go away by themselves. I have had many and sometimes they burst by themselves, sometimes they just slowly go. SOmetimes they get bigger and smaller. They are odd little things. Right now none of mine hurt, but DD's is hugely painful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back