Coaches Handstands on Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any tips for "Not falling over on Handstands on Bars" is this a conditioning issue or just lack of fight. Please help.

If you're talking about casting to a handstand for a giant, but th kid goes over instead of stopping at the handstand, it's probably something that will get better with time as long as she.......

has a good handstand on beam and floor

has a good shoulder position with no sag

is not muscling the skill to compensate for poor cast mechanics

has a sense of where she is on the way up

Pretty much, if she has a decent cast she'll solve the problem.

Two things:

1: hollow in the ascent just before reaching the handstand
2: counter-intuitively, extending the shoulders more quickly actually slows the body's ascent; faster extension should make it easier to stop at the top. (Greater shoulder strength can help this)

But really, it's just practice.

A HS on a single rail is not easy. It's harder than on Parallel Bars or Floor and Rings sort of and BB.

Lots of reps and practice. Of course drilling Single Rail HS is a good drill for this besides press HS on rail and partner holds on a single rail.

I cheat :)
Strength can help the stop but practice an the techniques mentioned above would be better. Save the use of strength for if you need to save one that is going to go too far.

Thanks guys ... most of the girls straddle cast. It's driving me crazy ... either the heals close behind the bottom or they close in a straight line and just don't save it. Tried several ways to fix it just gets frustrating.

Thanks guys ... most of the girls straddle cast. It's driving me crazy ... either the heals close behind the bottom or they close in a straight line and just don't save it. Tried several ways to fix it just gets frustrating.

Spot them on a bunch...don't let them fall over.

it "rounds" the rib cage and shoulder girdle and will stop it just short of vertical. it's an anatomical correction and should be temporary until they can feel what muscles to use naturally.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back