How is twisting initiated?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
There are several different ways to initiate a twist. The extent to which each should be used is something that coaches do not always agree on.

Here's my take on it:

There are two that you need to know about: asymmetrical arm movement and contact twisting.

Contact twisting. This essentially means getting your twist from the floor. For this to occur the shoulderst must begin twisting before the feet leave the floor. Many coaches say that this technique is incorrect, but in my opinion this isn't inherently true; it's just MUCH more difficult to use this technique without causing other problems, which is why most coaches don't teach twisting this way (at least not right off the bat).

The second method of twisting uses asymmetrical arm motion. The specifics of why this works are a bit more complicated (though there's a great article about it here), but the basic idea is that by dropping one arm to the side faster/earlier than the other, the balance of the flip is offset slightly in such a way that some of your flip rotation turns into twist rotation. It's hard to get into the specifics of how to do this without being able to work with you in person.
Because this technique has less tendency to mess up the takeoff for the flip, this is generally the method preferred by most coaches. Using this technique, it is possible to generate twist rotation after your feet have left the floor.

So which would I teach? Well, I would focus primarily on using asymmetrical arm movement to generate the rotation after leaving the floor; however, I would keep in mind that it is almost certain that you will end up doing at least a little bit of a contact twist, and as long as you're not compromising your set technique to do so, that's ok.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read your posts better: this is mainly for back twisting. There are a couple tricks that may help you on front twisting; I'll expand on those later tonight when I have a bit more time

Last edited:
To summarize gt - by dropping 1 arm you "borrow" energy from the flip and turn it into "twist." In short, you take flipping in one direction and tell physics to flip you in another mid-way.

To experience this, stand in front of a pit (or a nice soft mat). Lean forward with your arms up, and as you begin to fall drop an arm. You should do a half twist. To attain a full, drop the other arm while lifting the one currently down. Full twist. Please be careful doing this. Never land head first into a pit.

Learn the twist late first. While I generally agree about the efficacy of early twists, etc, it's advanced technique and can lead to confusion. I've fixed some twists by having the person do a layout, but keep their arms up (i.e., no pull). Think about where you feel yourself coming over the top.
Then at that point, pull the arm (same arm as the direction you'll twist). Just the one. You should twist at least a quarter. Do this into a pit or resi. That's where you can start pulling the twist.

Front, start with pike snap open. Pay attention again. Then on the snap, twist half. Preferably same direction you want to back twist. From them, you can start pulling harder into the full. If this is still giving you trouble, you can set up a wedge mat or soft block, and do a piked headspring, and as you open your body, you can twist half to land in push up position. This should basically force you to wait longer by waiting for the push off to flight.

Ok, to expand on front twisting specifically: if you're changing directions part way through the skill, I can almost guarantee that you're twisting early.

Do you think of the skill as a roundoff with no hands or as a front with a half? It is absolutely crucial to realize that this is NOT a roundoff or an aerial.

In my opinion, the best way to learn front twisting is from a pike, because it forces a delayed twist. You want to think pike, open, twist, in that order. For your 1/2, the entire twist should happen in the second half of the flip.

For a front 1/1, you'll admittedly twist slightly earlier, but you should still think pike, open, twist.

One of the few skills I can still do on trampoline is a full twisting front layout (I didn't say I do it well!! ;)).
I've never thought about it from a coaching perspective, but for me it's the same takeoff feeling and position (foot takeoff and arm action etc) that I do when I do an aerial RO. In fact I usually throw a couple of those to 'warm up'. I have zero fitness nowadays so my twist comes mostly from suddenly wrapping my left arm to touch my right hip - to twist right - as soon as I get close to upside down (ie: the arm action also increases my lift in the air since I'm already nearly upside down).
... I'm too chicken to see if I can still do a full backwards!!
Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back