Jordyn Weiber 4 years later video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
This is a great 10 min. video that brings us all up to date with where Jordyn is now and what she's up to at UCLA (and she is training for the tour after the Olympics).

I knew a bit about her manager position at UCLA with the women's team, but I wasn't completely clear on how pro gymnasts cannot compete at the collegiate level (or even practice with their team). There is some discussion in the video about how the pro rules for gymnastics are perhaps unfairly lumped in with the rules of basketball and football players - seems like there is some merit to the idea that it is not right that some elite/Olympic gymnasts can compete on college teams, while others cannot (scholarship $ being a separate matter; it makes sense that if you turned pro, then you pay for school).
Though there are likely many other takes on this topic, knowing this group!

Nice video, my only comment is I'm not so sure the gymnastics pro decision thing is really that unfair - all athletes take a gamble when they decide to take that pro money - there are basketball players every year who give up their scholarships for pro contracts - if they get injured or things don't work for them in the pros they are done (no going back to college to play on a team).

Someone probably offered her a big enough check prior to the Olympics that it made sense at the time for her give up her scholarship, but then she later had regrets. Them talking about how unfair it was that gymnastics is lumped in w/ other sports seemed like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back