WAG L10 Beam Dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My daughter has had trouble doing twisting skills. I think she learned to do arabians first at her former gym. So when she was being trained for fulls shortly thereafter, she was twisting very early and getting lost in the air. In addition, I think she was rushed into doing fulls for TOPs and did not go through proper progressions. I do not think she even did layouts first either. Her former coach just told to start twisting. This may not be the cause of her troubles and it could be just vestibular. But this has been going on for many years now, since she was 9. She is now 12. She can do fulls and 1 1/2 on floor (though my daughter said her fulls or full and half were not good. She also cannot do a double full). Last year as an L9, a week before the first meet of the season, she again was having trouble on her RO full dismount. She was twisting even before her feet would leave the beam. Another coach said, her hurdle was crooked. Anyway, they took it away and changed her dismount to a front layout. The HC was too afraid my daughter would get hurt, he never let her do the RO dismount again all last season, never touched on it at practice. The beam coach is very inexperienced and also limited her practicing any skills not in her routine.

Now getting ready for L10, they are aspiring to have her do a gaynor (spell?) to full. My daughter showed me a video of her doing a gaynor to layout. They think this will work (and somehow my daughter agrees because she thinks she will not be able to twist too early in her gaynor--is that true?) Maybe it is my ignorance, but for every gaynor to full dismount I see on beam, I see 100 RO to full, double full, double back dismounts. Aesthetically, I like the RO dismounts better. It irks me that no one in our gym can help her out. Is there anyone in this forum that can "unirk" me and tell me the gaynor full is not as horrible as I think it is?

"gainer" is what it is. gainer full is a good dismount. i'm assuming it is off the side? and not the end?? and it meets the code. really, that's all that matters. :)

Thanks for the correction!:oops: Learning new skills this season. I saw the name listed both ways Gaynor and Gainer. So I thought maybe it was the former and named after an american gymnast! NOT! :p

Anyway, thanks dunno. It is from the side. It seems most of our L10s and other L9s and L8s are training gainers not RO dismounts. But when you say "as long as it meets the code" what are typical code "violations" or mistakes that coaches make in coaching gainer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back